01. The Blackout

the one thing that always made Sydney smile nowadays and that was hanging out with her best friend max. the two souls clicked as soon as they meet. Sydney never felt this close to anyone in her life. she was sure the pair were platonic soulmates.

So far this summer wasn't going overly well. Sydney's dad had to leave to go to the other side of the world for his job even though he promised when they moved he wouldn't have to leave as often. Her mom and stepmom canceled on going to visit her without even a good reason.

Sydney felt like she could talk to max about all of this and all her feelings. Max understood in a way the others didn't. that's why Sydney felt comfortable around max and already trusted her.

Syd always was excited anytime meeting up with max, she always tried to dress nice. tonight she was wearing baggy denim shorts and her favorite flanel shirt over a crop top. She rubbed her cat, Loki, and hopped on her biked and cycled to starcourt mall. max, lucas and will were already.

"No mike?" syd questioned

"nope" will sighed. "i swear he's probably still at el's and forgot all about us again"

"oh el, i cant bare to be without you el" max mocks doing a terrible mike impression.

they all laugh. a few minutes past of the party sharing their news when max looks up, "well look who decided to show up". the gang look down the car park as mike wheeler navigates the crowd on his bike.

" you're late" lucas says as mike jumps of his bike.

"sorry" mike apologises. the group takes it in turns giving out to him. " we're goona miss all the trailers now" Syd huffs

"yeah, if you guys keep whining about it, lets go!" mike says as they make their way to the door.

now its lucas's turn to mock mike.

"dude please stop talking" mike gives out while pulling lucas along.

"yeah lucas, my impression is way better" max pokes at her boyfriend.

the two girls laugh as lucas continues to tease mike about how he only wants to talk and make out with el nowadays.

"yeah its so funny that i want to spend romantic time with my girlfriend."

"im spending romantic time with my girlfriend" lucas says suddenly pulling max forward away from sydneys side. sydney wasnt sure what she was feeling, it was a mix of anger, confusion and embarrasment. she didnt know what it was or why she was feeling it but she knew she wasnt meant to feel this way.

the gang pushed their way through the mall apologising to everyone as tehy made their way to scoops ahoy.

scoops ahoy was by far one of syds favorite places. not only was it full of memories from over the summer whenever max and syd would go shopping, but steve and robin worked there. Steve was like a big brother to sydney. she never had any of her own and since her dad was always away it was always nice to have a older figure she could trust. Robin also worked there, and syd would often admire the pairs dynamic as they always seemed to be teasing each other.

mike rang the bell impatiently as they stood at the counter.

"hey dingus, your children are here" robin called out to steve who was in the back room.

Steve opened the sliding windows, "Again? seriously." he rolled his eyes but opened the door which lead to the passage way that they used to sneak into the cinema without having to pay.

mike slowly opened the door, "all clear"

they slowly piled out trying to blend in as best as possible. they found the screen that was showing day of the dead and quickly found some seats together.