31.The Final Countdown

Max and syd took the attic. There were creeping around in their socks when Erica and Lucas came up holding a note pad with the words, found Vecna.

They nodded and followed her downstairs to one of the front rooms. Ericas blue lamp was flickering. Erica opened her pen and started writing.

Phase one?

Lucas nodded. Erica ran off out side to where she was meant to signal the others in the upside down.

Max and syd sat down facing each other while Lucas was looking out a window at his sister.

Max reached for her note pad and started writing. Hi. She held it up to Sydney

Sydney pick up hers and wrote back.

Hey:)

They quietly laughed at each other. Max started writing.

You okay?

As good as you can be in this situation. It helps that we're here together. Sydney wrote back causing the girl to smile in agreement.

Sydney flipped to the next page. The karate kid, Friday?

Max drew a little picture of the two girls watching a movie together. We have to rewatch it before the sequel. She wrote on the next page over

There's a sequel coming?! Sydney widened her eyes causing max to laugh.

Yeah, have you not seen the posters?

No! 

"Erica" Lucas whispered signalling the two to come over. Erica was flashing her light at them signalling that phase two was ready.  Lucas held up his flashlight as signaled back.

Sydney looked back at max who just half smiled and went over to put her shoes on. Lucas and Sydney followed her to the stairs. Max stood up and walked into the room where Vecna was. They all stood on the doorway. Max looked back and the two gave her a reassuring look. Max pulled down her headphones and paused her Walkman.

"Hey!" She shouted. "Asshole! I'm here! No more music. No more games. Do you hear me? What are you waiting for huh?" The light just stayed flickering. "Do you want me or not?"

The light faded and the lamp which max was holding got stronger. They followed it up into the attic. The plan was working.

The got to the middle of the attic and the light started to get even brighter. They looked at each other, sharing a worrying look. The light dimed .

"What are you waiting for asshole?" Max said. "Hmm? I'm right here. I know you can hear me. I know you can read my thoughts. Even the worst ones. Maybe mostly the worst ones. "

She put the lantern down on one of the crates. She took off her Walkman and placed in on the ground beside Lucas who smiled at her. She sat down in front of the light

"I thought about what you said. About how I wanted my brother to die. I thought that you were just trying to upset me. To anger me. But you weren't were you? You were just telling the truth."

Lucas looked at Sydney whose eyes were starting to tear up. They shared a look, they knew that this was private, that max shouldn't have to say this in front of them, but they knew they couldn't leave. It wasn't safe.

"Billy, he made my life a living hell. Every chance he got. So sometimes...when I would lie in bed at night, I would...I would pray...I would pray that something would happen to him. Something awful. I knew that he drove too fast, so I would imagine him crashing. Dying in that stupid car. I just... I wanted him out of my life. For ever. I wanted him to disappear."