The Next Step

"Hey, Hey, Hey you can't give up. Do you want him to do this to you again?" He points to your arms. "Look, I made you a promise and when I say I do a thing that thing gets fucking done!" He grabs his phone and dials a number.

It rings three times and someone picks up. A friendly female voice is on the other end of the line. "Mike? I don't suppose you are coming by the office any time soon?"

She had a sense of urgency in her voice; like something was going on around her that she couldn't explain. It sent a chill down your arms. Has he already figured out where I am and whom I'm with? That was Bobby's way; find out who he had to torture to get his pet back. Most people would hand me over in a heartbeat. So it was only a matter of time before I was back in that penthouse under lock and key.

"I'm on my way in now, but I need a favor from you." The car accelerates down the road with him still gripping the steering wheel. He pulls out a pack of cigarettes from his jacket pocket, places one in his mouth and lights it.

"Always with the favors Mike, we may have a bigger issue once you get here." She was very calm, but you knew there was something fishy about the whole deal. "Your brother is here."

"What the fuck does he want this early?"

Turning your head slightly to watch him out of your peripheral vision, he was clenching his jaw and the wrinkles above his eyes were becoming more prominent. There was some family drama there, but who doesn't have family drama?

"Just get here Mike!" The phone beeps as the call ends.

"So what's the plan?" You shift in your seat slightly to be able to look at him and watch his body language.

He takes a long drag off his cigarette then throws it out the window. Shaking his head side to side you hear a heavy sigh escape his mouth. You knew that it was only a matter of time before you had to find a car and keep running. Maybe keep heading west. Get lost in the Rockies somewhere.

"Fucking bullshit is all this is." The car swerves through the streets of busy downtown. People heading off to their jobs and lives, not a one of them thinking that there was a war headed to this small city.

The car whips into a parking spot behind an older building. You turn your head to look out the window. There was a metal staircase leading up to a second story door. The building was looking run down, paint chipping and everything was musty. He slams the gear into park and shuts off the engine then turns in his seat to you.

"OK, look, my fucking brother is a Cop and is going to want to know what happened to you. Your gonna tell him you crashed your car late last night and were wandering down the main road till I found you and brought you into town to get to the hospital. Nothing else. You fucking hear me?" His eyes were piercing like daggers into your soul. The sternness of his face almost made you afraid, but you felt a sense of calm, like he was going to make sure you were ok.

You nod your head up and down then reach for the door handle to open the door. Stepping out of the car you follow him up the stairs and through the door. He walks you into his office and points to the small couch against the wall. You take a seat pulling the flannel closer around you. You felt like there was about to be an interrogation for something you didn't even do wrong. The door to the office swings open and a tall male walks in with a pressed suit on. You could see the badge on his belt shining like a gem among the shadows. He looks down at you and his hard expression turns to a softer view of confusion.

"Who is this Mike? And why have you been locked away in your little hobo home for the past two days?" He turns to Mike and puts his hands on his hips. This pushes back his jacket and exposes the Holster on his hip. Great, everyone has a gun around here.