The Only Plan

"Are you ok?" Rebecca walks over to the couch sitting down next to you.

"I don't know." You shake your head back and forth trying to compose yourself.

"Look, I've told you this place is a bad town. You need t get out of here, but seeing as there is an issue now and Mike has some sense of duty to protect you I guess what we need to do now is make a plan." Rebecca grabs your right hand squeezing it tightly.

The door swings open and both of you jump as it hits the wall hard. Mike walks in with the older detective on his heels followed by Kyle.

"Fuck Ian, what do you want me to say? Just handle it!" Mike slumps down into the chair behind his desk.

"Jesus Mike this isn't something you can sweep under the rug like nothing." Ian steps forward placing both of his hands on the desk leaning down towards Mike. "You have a shit storm to deal with and no where to hide her anymore. What do you plan to do now?"

"I have an idea." You chime into the conversation as all three of the men turn to look at you. Kyle and Ian had furrowed brows and looked at you like a nothing more than a weak woman. Mike was covering his mouth with his hand. As he dropped his hand he stood up walking in your direction.

"NO! The last time we did what you said this shit happened." Mike crosses his arms leaning against the wall to your left.

"NO! You listen to me. If we want to take him down you have to know what you're dealing with. This has just been foreplay." You stand up as Rebecca lets your hand go. "You have to send them a message, one that will stick."

"And what do you propose to do then, little miss." Ian takes a step toward you and Mike holds out his hand stopping him in his tracks.

"I'm not putting you out as bait anymore, but until we have a place for you to stay that will keep you safe, you will stay here with Rebecca. Then I'll take you back to my place tonight. I doubt they are dumb enough to strike when I'm there."

"Two cops? Really? You think that will be enough?" You laugh out knowing that if they wanted you again they would knock down two cops like it was just another Tuesday.

"The block is being watched as is due to what happened yesterday." Kyle says as he pulls out his phone. He answers it and steps out into the hall.

"I don't like this Mike." Ian pulls Mike to the side.

"Like it or not we have to put a lid on this now." Mike drops his head shaking it side to side. "I'm not going to be responsible for her getting killed on my watch."

"Fuck Mike, don't get attached. She's a witness." Ian places his hand over his face pulling it down, wiping the wrinkles smooth.

Mike grabs Ian by the jacket pushing him against the wall. "Don't! Just don't"

Ian throws his hands up next to him. "Ok, ok, ok...fucking hell. Decaf brother."

Mike lets him go and Ian turns to walk out the door. Mike follows him then grabs the doorknob and closes the door. He walks over to the couch and sits down next to you.

"I need a gun. Or at least a knife or two." You shift in your seat to face him head on.

"No gun. I will get you something else when I get back. You will be safe here." He stands up and buttons his jacket turning to look down at you.

"Thank you." You whisper, looking up at him through your lashes.

"You're welcome. Now stay put until I get back." He turns to walk over to the door and you stand up rushing to him wrapping your arms around him. He tenses, standing there frozen as you grip onto him tightly. "I've got to go. I'll be back." He pulls away then opens the door to the office and walks down the hall.

You start to pace the room as you hear the voices retreat down the hall and out the main office door. There is a slight knock at the door to the office making you turn swiftly on your feet. Rebecca was standing there with a sullen look on her face.

"What?" You throw your hands up. So done with this whole situation already.

"I'm just checking on you. How are you doing?" She takes a step toward you trying to force a smile. "I'm serious. This is me being real."

"I just want out of all of this. I can't take it anymore." You start pacing again trying to form some sort of plan. You trusted Mike to his word, but things have not gone the way he said, so how can you trust him now?

"Want some coffee?" She walks over to the coffee pot and pours two cups.

"Yeah, sure." You take a seat back on the couch rubbing your hands down your pants.

Rebecca sits down next to you and hands you one of the cups in her hands. "How can I help?" She crosses her legs takes a sip out of her cup.

" I know how to end this, but they will not like it." You take a sip leaning into the back of the couch.

"How's that?" She cocks her head to the side raising an eyebrow at your words.

"I have to pull it out by the root. He needs to think I'm dead." You look over at the empty chair behind Mike's desk.

"How do you plan on making that happen?" She leans back against the back of the couch, never taking her eyes off of you.

You turn to face her and a sly smirk creeps up on your face. "Maybe you can help me convince Mike. You know him better than I do. Believe me, this will work."

"Oh, no, no, no...I don't want to be in the middle." She shakes her head setting her cup down on the table to the side. "I don't know about this."

You grab her hand and pull her close to you. "Would you rather not and I end up dead for real?" Staring deep into her eyes you start to give her the puppy dog eyes as she sighs and nods her head.

"Fine, but don't ambush him with it. He is wound tighter than a string drum." She grabs her coffee and walks out of the office down to her desk. "Let me take the lead on this and maybe he will go along with the idea." She calls over her shoulder.

"Good with me." You set your cup down on the side table and lay down across the couch hoping to get a second to relax before putting this plan in motion.