Don't Let Your Guard Down

Mike's head snaps up like a predator that has heard something invading their territory. "Stay here!" He gets up and walks out the front door.

You begin to hear the sound of crunching gravel outside. Immediately you know it's a car. Quickly getting up from your seat you creep over to the large window in the front room. You pull back the curtain and see a man step out of the car that just parked next to Mike's. It was Kyle. Mike takes a few steps off the porch to him. The two of them hug and seem to just stand there in silence for a moment. They walk back over to the porch and sit on the step. You could hear mumbled voices, but nothing that you could make out word wise.

Taking light steps over to the door you lean you back against the wall beside the door and slide down.

"Yeah, yeah Mike's he's been booked, but until we have some hard evidence we can't keep him locked up for long."

"You want your fucking proof? It's right through that door."

You knew he was referring to you, but if you came forward it would cause a whole new set of issues.

"I know, but she has to come forward freely. It can't look like we coerced her into it."

There was a loud sigh from both of them. "Want a beer?" Mike's voice sounded heavy with exhaustion.

There was no reply but you hear steps on the wood outside the door and it makes you jump to up to your feet. You walk back over to the table to grab the dishes and take them to the sink. The door opens and loud footsteps come up behind you.

"You don't have to do that. I can clean this up later." He steps past you to open the door to the fridge.

"I don't mind. It's the least I can do for you letting me stay here." Starting the water in the sink you place the dishes down. You feel a slight touch to the back of your left arm. You tense involuntarily.

"You don't have to do anything. Come outside, drink a beer and enjoy the peace and quiet, even if just for a moment." A beer is placed in front of you.

You shut the water off and grab the beer from him. Walking behind him you both step out the door. The cold air hits your wet hair and you noticeably shiver. You take a seat in the chair on the corner of the porch; taking a sip of the beer you place it next to you. Crossing your arms to keep the little warmth you had. Mike notices this, without saying anything he steps inside and appears with a blanket, handing it to you.

"So, Mike, what is your plan with all this?" Kyle motions to you, speaking as if you were not able to hear him.

Mike hangs his head. "I don't fucking know."

"Well you better figure it out because this is not something we can just sweep under the rug. If he doesn't give us something-"

"I know! GOD Kyle! FUCK!" Mike pulls out a cigarette and lights it. You notice the shaking in his right hand coming back. He clenches his hand over and over trying to mask it.

"Alright! Geeze! Look I've got to get home. Call me in the morning."

Kyle stands up and walks back to his car. You pick up the beer next to you and finish it, slamming down the can.

"Why are you helping me Mike?" You look down at him. He doesn't move from the step, with his back to you he shrugs his shoulders. A low whisper comes from him.

"It's the right thing to do."

"I'm not worth all this mess." You pull the blanket closer to your body as the wind chill drops.

He turns to look at you with a straight face. "Don't say that. Everyone is worth something. You made some bad choices, hell, everyone has. Even the so-called good fucking people out there, everyone has a dirty secret." He stands up and reaches out a hand towards you. You take it following him back inside the cabin.