The Set Up

Lying there lost in your head, no way to sleep, you feel something tap your leg and you jolt up. Opening your eyes you see Mike standing there holding out a brown bag in your direction.

"Heard you may be hungry." He sets the bag down next to you.

"Thank you, I didn't need it to be hand delivered by you since you were busy." You grab the bag and pull out a wrapped sandwich. You didn't care what it was as long as it was edible.

"So I know you don't want to be involved with this-"

"I called Him." You cut him off with a mouth full of food.

"You shouldn't have done that." He hangs his head in his hand shaking it back and forth.

"I'm the only one who can convince him to come here. I know what I'm doing."

"Do you?" He lifts his head looking at you. Then he stands up and walks over to the couch taking a seat next to you. "I can tell that you're broken. Abuse and drugs can do that to you. You are not in the right mind to take this into your own hands. As much as I hate to admit it, you need to let the detectives lure him in where they want him. It's safer that way, for you most importantly. By calling him you have given him where you are. I'm sure he has pinpointed where by now. And I have nowhere else to hide you. So you better be ready for some heavy fucked up shit aimed directly at you."

You turn in your seat to look at him dead on. "I know what I'm doing. I'm not the little wounded bird you think I am."

He grabs your arm and pushes up the sleeve. "This would prove otherwise." He lays his head back on the couch and mumbles something under his breath.

"What was that?" You get closer to him.

He pinches the bridge of his nose. " You won't make it 6 months here."

Grabbing him by the tie you pull him up close to your face. "I am NOT a broken bird Mike. Don't underestimate me."

"The Fuck-" He stares you in the eyes and you could see the anger fade slightly. "Alright, alright! Geez fuck. Can you let go now?" He pulls on his tie trying to get it out of your grip.

You release it and sit back against the arm of the couch, grabbing the rest of the sandwich and finishing it in record time.

"You don't have to act so tuff. I'm here to help you. I just know how this will go if one thing is out of place." He pulls his phone out of his jacket pocket and dials a number. "Hey...yeah,.....she contacted this guy about an hour ago. Mmhmm...NO! Fuck no...She's no safer at the station as me or you."

This conversation was not making you happy. Speaking about me like I was a lost child. "I can handle myself. I don't need to be held up in some fortress anywhere. Plus He wont come out in the open alone unless he sees me."

"That's not fucking happening." He points at you, using that deep gravely voice.

"Stop treating me like a child. Listen to me! Bobby won't cooperate if he can tell something is up. No SWAT, No uniforms or he will shoot everyone in the area or worse."

"I'll call you back Kyle." He hangs up the phone and puts it back in his jacket. "So what do you think will be a better option, because you out in the open with no one to back you up is like an open invitation to have you back in his grip. Do you really want that?"

"I know him better than anyone in this town. I know what I'm doing." You place the bag on the floor next to your feet. "If he is coming I'm going to need a change of clothes. He will know these are not mine." You pull on the front of the flannel.

"I'll have Rebecca get you some. Did you need anything else or."

"That should be enough. I have everything else I need in my bag." Reaching over to grab your phone it starts to vibrate and the Bobby's name pops up on the screen.