Memories Can Hurt

The road narrows as the car slows down to make left turn onto the dirt road to the left. You grab a quick glance in Mike's direction, staying as still as you could to not upset him more than he is. His face was emotionless, staring right out into the dark abyss, most likely stuck in his thoughts.

"You're scared of me now huh?" His body language is stiff and robotic.

"Why would I be scared of you?" You turn your head to look at him, tilting it to the side.

"You have seen the monster I can be. You should find somewhere else to be." The car slows as it makes a slight turn and pulls up to the little hidden cabin.

"Trust me if that's you being a monster then Bobby was the Devil incarnate." You smirk a little trying not to laugh.

"You have no idea who I am or what I'm capable of." His right hand slides off the steering wheel and rests on his right leg.

You could see he was still shaking slightly. Stress had a way of manifesting differently in people, but with him it was like someone had put a cork on an erupting volcano and left it. You wanted to do anything you could to thank him for the help, but he seemed like the type of person to not ever want it. Or worse, believe he deserved it.

"And you have no idea what I'm capable of. I told you I'm not broken, he was just a huge weakness to me. He knew all of my buttons and how to push them. That kind of torture can break anyone down. I'm stronger than I look." You interlace your fingers and place the on your lap.

His eyes turn to you as he stops the car and puts it in park. "No you're not."

"So what now? You hide me out here until what? He gets out and finds me out here and you come back one day to my corpse in the dirt out there?" You point out the window to the ground in front of the cabin.

"I don't fucking know. What I do know is that if you don't figure a way to break this from who you really are you will be fucked for the rest of your life. And that little pissant you just had to deal with will be the least of your worries. This town is not for the faint of heart." He turns his head back to look out the window, grabbing the door handle to open the door.

"I'll prove it to you. I can hold my own, if you keep your promise that Bobby will either be dead or never see the light of day again." Bowing your head to try hiding the tear that just fell from your right eye. It rolled down your cheek as you raised your hand to wipe it away.

"Come on inside, I'll make some food." He opens the door and steps out of the car, closing the door behind him and walking up to the small porch.

You sit in the car watching him walking up to the porch. His left hand reached up behind his head rubbing the back of his neck. He hangs his head shaking it side to side then turns to see if you were following behind him. He stops and turns around looking at you through the glass.

"I don't bite. You should know that by now." He waves his hand for you to follow him.

You shake your head as a laugh escapes your lips. Stepping out of the car you grab your bag and follow him inside. "Maybe I like biting." You whisper under your breath as you reach the doorway.

"What was that?" He steps over to you from the kitchen and stands a foot from you.

You look up at him with a slight blush on your face. You had no idea what had come over you to say such a thing to someone you barely knew. He just made you feel comfortable in your own skin, plus its not like you were the only one with major amounts of baggage.

"Care to share?" He places his right hand on the wall behind you causing him to lean in closer to your face.

"Nothing, just a bad joke was all." You stand there staring up into those deep green eyes. Concentrating on keeping your breathing steady. You had no idea whether it was fear of excitement, but it was something you had not felt in a very long time.