Chapter 11

Code

Some time had gone by while Zero and Valeria completed mission after mission around Vision City, creating friends along the way. Every task they completed didn't feel significant in the slightest. They weren't getting nearly enough exp to level up post their current levels which meant they needed bigger missions to complete if they wanted to level up.

Fortunately, Zero didn't care about leveling up. If he did, it would just be a byproduct of his true goal.

They eventually stopped at a Restaurant for something to eat. Zero ordered a cheeseburger while Valeria ordered a steak. They sat down at the table in the corner of the restaurant and everyone watched them with wonder and curiosity in their eyes until they all finally decided to mind their business.

"So what's the plan?" Valeria asked. "We've been doing small quests for hours and we have nothing to show for it. I'm still not even close to leveling."

"Building relationships and a good reputation."

Valeria raised an eyebrow and she had confusion written all over her face.

"We've done a bunch of small quests which made people happy. We've shown that we can build stable fences, break up petty arguments, and deliver items to people. Now we've got to show them that we can fight as well. Show them that we're capable of being 'bad'."

"Wouldn't that just make people not trust us?"

Zero nodded his head. "It's possible for sure but we've been so kind and nice that our good reputation is high. If we did something bad now it would only show that we can be influenced."

"What do you mean?"

"People like the boss look for impressionable people. The type that you can take advantage of. If we do something bad now, more people will begin to pop up. People like who we're trying to catch."

Valeria nodded her head. "I understand but what will all of this accomplish?"

"Currently my plan is simple." Zero began to whisper the rest into Valeria's ears and her eyes widened. She knew his plan now but it would take both time and carefulness. His plans needed to go exactly right or everything they did would be in vain.

Zero and Valeria soon left the restaurant and started walking through Vision City once again. The people they had helped out waved at them with smiles on their faces. They walked until they came across a bridge with a hooded guy standing underneath it. Zero didn't like judging books by their covers but this cover was blatantly bad no matter how much you read into it.

Walking up to the man, he initially brushed them off as if they were just some couple walking through the park but upon close inspection, he realized that they were the famous Zero and Valeria.

"Hey, you two," he said quietly while trying to gain their attention even though he already had it. "I have a really big job that I need to do but I can't do it by myself."

"What's that?" Zero said while faking curiosity. "We'll do whatever it takes to help someone in need."

"An orphanage is holding a very important kid. He's around this tall-" he motioned right beside his shoulders "-has an Afro, and green eyes like a forest."

Zero nodded his head. "You want us to take a kid from an orphanage?"

He nodded. "If you can't do it I understand. You're a good boy that does everything society tells you. If I were you, I wouldn't do it either."

Zero nearly chuckled but managed to keep himself calm.

"Do you have anything a bit less evil? Kidnapping a kid is taking it a little too far. Do you even have a heart?" Zero nearly spit out the words while faking anger.