Chapter 13

Dreams

"Alright Ria, let's get everyone together so that we can do more quests. I'm sure we're probably a little rusty so let's take it slow today. Code should be on his way here as well," Zero said as he stood in front of the gates of Vision City.

"No need to wait, I'm here." Code had on the same hood from the other day but this time there was a smile on his face. "I managed to get us some rides to the shadow region if you don't mind."

Zero shook his head. "No man, it's perfect. Thank you."

Code pointed over to the stable just outside of the gate where notable dragorses were being taken care of and fed by one of the workers. They walked over to the worker and Code happily handed the man three tickets and the man accepted them with gratitude before walking into the stables. After a few moments of waiting, the man eventually walked out of the stable with two dragorses with another one walking closely behind him. Getting on the creatures, the trio left while waving the man off with smiles on their faces.

It took them nearly a day to get back to the Shadow region and another half a day to get to Hollowfield. When they arrived, everything was exactly like they had left it. The homeless were still sitting on the ground just as lifeless as when he had left and though he wasn't gone long, he expected something to change.

Sadly, nothing did.

"You two find Till and take him to the cafe. I have to convince another member to join us so if I come back empty-handed, I failed."

Valeria narrowed her eyes. "Don't say that you failed," she said while crossing her arms. "I hate that word so just say that you couldn't convince that person to join this time but you'll get them next time. That's the best way to describe it."

Zero smiled and nodded his head. "Right."

Code and Valeria went in an opposite direction than Zero. They were hungry and Valeria's first mission was to find something to eat and start the search right after. It was better to do work on a full stomach than on an empty stomach and she wasn't about to work with her stomach constantly growling at her.

As she walked around and look for a restaurant, she noticed that Code was directly beside her with a focused look on his face.

"You okay?" she asked softly.

He nodded his head. "Yes," he answered.

"Why are you standing so close and walking so stiff? You can relax around here I promise," she said with a comforting smile on her face.

Code shook his head. "While Zero is away, I have to be the one to protect you. What would he think if I let something happen to you because I was too weak or let my guard down? I won't let that happen."

"Did Zero put you up to this?"

Code shook his head. "I just know how much you mean to him. I hope that one day he can care about me just as much as he cares about you."

Shock was written all over Valeria's face as she looked at Code then she quickly turned around as if Zero was still behind her, even though he was already long gone by now. "He told you that himself?" she asked while looking directly into Code's eyes.

He chuckled a bit. "No," he answered truthfully. "I can just see it. Especially when you guys took me to that old man's house, and they called you a couple. Zero just smiled and didn't even deny it in the slightest. He just smiled and let the old couple think what they wanted to think but when he looked at you, I saw a look of care in his eyes that only my foster family had shown me so far. Truthfully, I'm a little jealous."