ii.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

        THE WALK BACK UP to the school was anything but awkward; it was as if no time had passed since they last saw each other

THE WALK BACK UP to the school was anything but awkward; it was as if no time had passed since they last saw each other. eddie was trying to trip eve by stepping on the backs of her shoes and she was trying to grab the black skull bandana from his back pocket. why did i ever not want this? she wondered. she knew why though, of course.

no one ever stayed.

her grandmother was the exception, but everyone else was temporary. god only knew how much she hoped it wasn't going to reign true for eddie, but she knew to keep her expectations low. it stopped it from hurting so badly when they did end up leaving or disappointing her.

"hey, where'd you go?" eddie interrupted her thoughts, both of them coming to a halt at the edge of the woods. he wasn't ready to face the world yet, wanting to play pretend for a little while longer. to be with her. god, how he forgot how great she was.

"oh," evelyn blushed. "just thinking about how much i missed you, i guess. it's just been weird." and it really had been. eve had been learning from home with books that cost a fortune that mama lou graciously paid for. the girl didn't even really need to go back to high school. her intelligence was way past that of a high schooler's, but she figured it would look much better on a college résumé to have a diploma rather than a ged.

"awe, shucks, miller. i missed you too." the boy said, sticking his tongue out playfully. he looked down at his feet. why am i being so shy? this is not like me at all. i need to get my shit together, she's just little evie. eddie gave himself an inner pep talk.

"i guess we should head to class before someone realizes we skipped the pep rally." eve sighed. she really didn't want to go or have to make friends again, but it had to happen one way or another. 

so off they went to ms. o'donnell's literature class, walking side by side.

when they arrived, the first bell had already rung and ms. o'donnell made a point to embarrass both of them. "ah, yes, the new girl and the trouble maker. thank you for choosing to show up."

her comment earned a few snickers from the other students. eddie slyly made his way to his seat in the back of the class, making sure to cause plenty of ruckus, drumming on the desk as he sat down. that boy didn't have a care in the world and eve admired that about him. he smiled at his new-old friend and motioned her to the seat next to him, to which she greatly appreciated. she would've hated sitting by someone she didn't know and been forced to... socialize.

the class went better than either of them expected. they were reading the great gatsby and eve loved that book. she had read it at least ten times through. what was one more?

what was even better was that they luckily got paired together for their class project due to being late. "since you two think it's okay to be late, you can work together on the assignment."