⁰²

•••

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴏ  ]
𝐀𝐍𝐘𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐃

•••

Reo thought highly of himself. He was intelligent and handsome; he was a natural leader. Ever since he was a child, other kids would follow him around and listen to his orders. They would always try to befriend him, and teachers would tell his parents how incredibly smart their son was for his age. And that was all prior to him presenting, so none of those disgusting comments some jealous people made about him could be true — that since he was an omega, everyone would try to get on his good side so they could fuck him.

The underestimating came with his sub-gender. At twenty-three, Reo was used to it already. He even rejoiced in proving people wrong way more than he did in teasing alphas.

He always believed he was great as a person, as a man, and as an omega. Now, though, he couldn't stop listing everything that was wrong with him, even if he had a hard time coming up with defects.

Reo found himself drawing comparisons with Chigiri. Chigiri was shorter; maybe Nagi liked omegas who were more feminine, more petite? But Chigiri was fit like any other athlete. Was Nagi into Chigiri because of their shared career path, and because he saw Chigiri more often? Did they fall in love during practice? Did they go on dates after interviews? Was Chigiri simply more funny, wittier? Was their sense of humor the same, were they complete opposites?

Reo didn't know if he wanted to laugh or if he wanted to cry. His omega wanted to die. It sounded dramatic, but after years of thinking he had no opportunity with Nagi because no one had an opportunity with him, realizing it was just Reo who Nagi wasn't interested in was tearing him apart.

He went home, locked himself in his room, and didn't answer his parent's calls. They could come to his apartment and kick the door down if there was an emergency. He had no energy to bother with them outside of life or death situations. Reo didn't think flirting with other alphas at the banquet would make him feel any better.

Chigiri: Man, please

Chigiri: Answer your phone

But Reo didn't know if he would be able to pretend. Nagi and Chigiri weren't dating, for sure — right? Nagi would've said something before. They've been teammates for more than a year — but they were having sex. Sex. Why wasn't Nagi having sex with him? Was it sad that Reo would've accepted whatever Nagi could give, even if it were just physical?

He didn't mind being disposed of after a rut; he would've said yes or at least considered it. Why Chigiri of all people?

His hands were trembling as he replied to Chigiri. Via text, he might be able to fake his way through the conversation.

Reo: Hey, is this about the article?

Chigiri knew Reo liked Nagi, everybody knew. Reo had a claim on him, almost. Nagi said it helped push other omegas off, he said he liked Reo's scent, that it was familiar to him, comforting. So he let Reo scent him, and they sometimes shared clothes and most people believed Nagi was taken, and yet... he went to a hotel and fucked Chigiri, leaving Reo's scent all over their sheets.

The mere idea gave Reo nausea.

Chigiri: YES, what else would it be about?

Chigiri: I swear we did nothing together, just spent the night, talked

Chigiri: You're my friend, I would NEVER betray you like that

Chigiri: Someone snitched to the press and they blew it out of proportion

But did they? Reo had read a part of the article from Yukimiya's phone, then read the entire thing in the taxi, then one last time while he closed the door. A couple of teammates sharing a hotel room was to be expected; them stinking of each other wasn't, and witnesses claimed that they did reek of the other. Reo saw the pictures, the hug, how close their faces were to one another in the car, how Nagi's neck was freaking red and purple even in low resolution.

Reo: I saw the pics though...

Reo: I'm not mad

Reo: you want me to get rid of them?

Technically, he could. Reo had the contacts, and everyone had a price. He could pay the papers to shut up about it. The story wasn't so interesting; the only reason it was worth publishing was because it had been kind of revolutionary when Ego convinced the national football teams to accept omegas. Before, omegas couldn't make it pro — only male or female alphas depending on the sport.

And even if he felt very close to having a breakdown or throwing a tantrum (whatever came first), Reo didn't want this to affect his friends' careers.

Chigiri: THOSE WERE TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT

Chigiri: ASK NAGI

Reo: But do you want me to get rid of them?

Chigiri: I mean, uh

Chigiri: I would owe you one if you did...

Chigiri: Please?

Reo: Okay :))

The happy faces weren't passive-aggressive, but they probably looked the part. Reo sighed, tired of the topic already, and sent an email to his assistant about the problem, not wanting to make the calls or deal with it himself.

Ask Nagi. Alright, and what would be his explanation? That he wasn't dating Chigiri, but he had someone else? Those damn bruises on his neck... Reo held his head in his hands and groaned. He had never let his heat partners mark him up like that, never. Some stupid part of him assumed it would upset his alpha.

His alpha. What a ridiculous idea.

He could have anyone he wanted, yet he thought being alone, yearning for someone he couldn't have, would be okay as long as Nagi remained alone too. What a naïve theory, and so egoistic too.

Reo received more texts, more calls. Worried friends were bombarding him with questions: Is it true? Did you see it? What can I do to help? His attachment to Nagi had never felt so pathetic.

Just like Reo expected, out of all those people contacting him, not one was Nagi.

He didn't want to hear his omega whine about it — why doesn't he like us, we can be better, we can do better, we can be perfect, we can be pretty, tame, we can shut up, we can present, why don't we show him, why? Why? Why?!

Reo took a sleeping pill from his nightstand and swallowed it dry. He was intelligent and handsome, he was a natural leader... and the worst omega in the world. The one his alpha didn't want, even after he's made his feelings so obvious, even though he was so easy. Reo didn't want to dwell on that, and his last thought before falling asleep was that he should have talked to that alpha at the party. Asked her what was so good about him anyway, aside from his family name.

He might start to forget the answer if he thinks hard enough.

•••