⁰⁴

•••

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғᴏᴜʀ  ]
𝐀 𝐁𝐈𝐓𝐂𝐇 𝐈𝐍 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐓

•••

Another party, another day. Reo wore his damned scent patches to neutralize Nagi's scent, which would throw all his suitors off if they were to feel it. Reo's dad despised it whenever he came home smelling of his friend. Years ago, he would tell Reo there were better alphas out there, and Reo would bite his tongue to stop himself from blurting out there were not.

Yukimiya wasn't there — he had his rut that very weekend — and couldn't get out of bed. So Reo had to act this time, say hi, the pleasure is mine, as he gave handshakes and got stared at like a prize. He had no excuse to bail and no one to get distracted with.

Rosalie wasn't there; instead, another English alpha attended the event for her, this time a man. Reo was just taking a breath of fresh air before having to socialize again when the guy found him, blond hair just like his sister's.

"You must be the young Mikage," he greeted, sounding carefree. Reo offered his hand and the alpha kissed his knuckles, not breaking eye contact. "It's a pleasure to meet you, my sister mentioned meeting your father two or so weeks ago."

Reo wore his most charming fake smile, "I remember her. It was truly unfortunate that we couldn't talk at all at the event."

"She would've had nothing to talk about, anyway. Rosalie is terribly boring, which cannot be said about me." He smirked, "Are you boring, too?"

"Excuse me?" Reo forced a laugh. What was the guy getting to? "I'm afraid I don't understand."

"Oh, is my Japanese that bad?" he barked a laugh. Reo looked around to make sure they wouldn't attract any attention. When he focused on the alpha again, he found that the man had moved closer. "I was saying that she's no match for you, although she was interested. Your father does a great job bragging, making you sound quite interesting. If you're as special as he describes, we should talk a bit more. If you're not, however, I could always introduce you to my sister anyway."

If you're as special...

How bold. Did this guy believe that Reo would make an effort to impress him?

Reo chuckled, "What do you want to talk about? Stock? Would that make me sound smart enough for your standards? You come across as a very shameless man, has anyone told you that?"

"Did I offend you?" He didn't seem at all regretful, "I'm just wondering how you manage to get everyone's attention — even my sister's — when you look like... every other rich omega in this side of town."

Reo couldn't understand if he was being flirted with in some weird, eastern way, but he was almost sure that he was being disrespected.

"Let me tell you that this is the worst way to court someone if you're attempting to."

"I told you I'm not, at least for now," he grinned, "I'm asking what you have to offer, what you bring to the table."

Reo laughed in response, but he laughed at the man, not with him. "I'm sorry, did my father send you? All I've heard so far is that you're wasting your time with me for some reason"

"He did send me, to be quite honest. And I wanted to spark conversation after he said so much about you: first of your class, graduated from the best university... yada, yada. But I had one question as he kept babbling about you, young Mikage."

"Ask ahead."

"Does he assume you will successfully get every alpha wrapped around your finger? He didn't even ask if I liked omegas at all."