¹⁴

•••

[ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғᴏᴜʀᴛᴇᴇɴ  ]
𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐓 𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐖

•••

In the end, Reo and Nagi began their relationship kind of slowly. Or not necessarily slowly, but not as rushed as they predicted. After his heat, Reo was, again, the rational one who started the awkward conversations. In the end, they set a few limits. They agreed on not moving in together for now, and only telling family and close friends about their relationship, not the press or anyone in the public.

And the fact that they had chosen to keep some privacy both as individuals and as a couple should've helped diminish Reo's stress. Because it meant he had fewer external elements influencing his relationship (in other words, he had less bullshit to deal with). But he's always been an overthinker, and his father, who qualified as "family," was his biggest source of anxiety.

Their relationship was complicated. Reo knew the older Mikage didn't like Nagi, so he didn't want his approval. He was simply going to deliver him the news and create a new boundary between them, one like: do not meddle in my romantic life anymore.

He only hoped for a calm reaction.

But hey, at least Nagi didn't seem to share his worries. They were at a luxurious restaurant Reo had chosen, both to avoid the confrontation from escalating, and so the good food would play in his favor.

His boyfriend was already enjoying said food because he had ordered an appetizer right after receiving the menu. Reo sipped his water to clear his throat; he would wait for his father before ordering any wine.

"Is there a reason why you haven't stopped eating when our guest isn't even here yet?" He wondered out loud.

Aside from Nagi's lack of manners, the explanation was merely hunger. Nagi swallowed, "You think there's a reason?"

"Nervousness, maybe." Reo was definitely projecting. He was the one who obsessed over little things like his partner's eating habits just to have something else in his troubled mind. "You could be wondering what the hell are we doing here since this will most likely end up badly, and we're both too busy to be entertaining my father. You could find this all useless."

Nagi stopped to look at him, poker-faced. "That's how you're feeling. I'm only enjoying a free meal." Then, as if to prove it, he took a bigger bite. "You know, Reo, just because you don't have very telling habits, it doesn't mean I can't guess you're overthinking when you start rambling."

That, and Reo's scent, were the things Nagi understood the most when it came to him. The rest? Well, that's the funny part of people; they weren't exactly predictable.

"I'm worried, that's all." The omega sighed. "Is it that obvious?"

Nagi shook his head, "Not really, Reo, you can still act. It's a talent for rich people, I guess." Sure, because Reo knew how to be so charming that Nagi would call it more talent than hypocrisy.

"Now, that's just mean..." Reo grinned slightly. "You know me so well."

Maybe Nagi was becoming more insightful, but he didn't think so. He simply believed Reo was starting to forget how to hide around him.

Right then, Reo's father arrived, and tension settled on the heir's shoulders, impossible to ignore. Nagi chewed on another piece of food, ready for the shit show to begin.

"Good afternoon, son." Not a smile but definitely not the carefully crafted mask of indifference he wore as he addressed Seishiro next. " Nagi."