Brielle

"Brielle wants to know if you are taking her to the park before or after we eat?" my sister asked over the speakerphone

"Brielle wants to know if you are taking her to the park before or after we eat?" my sister asked over the speakerphone. I was at my kitchen table with the laptop open in front of me, a pad of paper next to me on my left, and a cold cup of tea to my right.

"Before I guess."

"Okay. I told mom and dad we'll eat at four."

I glanced at the time on the laptop. It was 11:03 am. That would give me time to make a quick batch of cupcakes before I had to leave.

"Alright. Do you have icing?"

My sister laughed through the phone. "Yeah, which flavor do you want this time? I think Brielle made me buy one of each flavor the last time she came to the store with me."

I smiled as I got to my feet. My niece loved to "bake" with me, and by bake, she meant putting icing on the cupcakes.

"She can choose." I pulled the cabinet door open and scanned my supplies. "I think I'll make chocolate cupcakes this time."

"Okay, I'll let her know."

"See you at two."

"Yeah, bye."

I turned the radio up after she hung up. The top 40 had been playing in the background the entire morning, but since I was no longer reading, I could get lost in the music.

I pulled my hair back into a short ponytail. Sometimes I missed the long hair I used to have. I'd cut a few inches off right before I started college and then again -more drastically- after I graduated. The shoulder length hair was easier to maintain, but I still liked the way a messy bun looked, and missed the way my long ponytail swung across my back when I moved. 

Austin had liked my long hair too. He used to play with it, or run his hands through it, and he liked the way it felt over his naked body...

And just like that, I was back to thinking about Austin. Again.

"Dammit Ellie," I reprimanded myself. It was starting to get a bit ridiculous.

I took the ingredients out and put them down on the counter a bit more forcefully than necessary, which, of course, resulted in the flour bag splitting open and spilling flour all over the counter.

"Aghhh," I groaned as I reached for my sponge.

Selma sat next to the sink. Her bright yellow cat eyes followed my every move as I turned the water on to wet the sponge, and it was almost like I could feel her disappointment in me.

I was losing it.

I felt judged by my cat.

***

"ELLIE," Brielle shouted as soon as I opened the door to my sister's house. She wrapped her arms around my waist and squeezed.