Departure 2

I had more time than I wanted to go over everything that had happened between me and Ellie as I drove towards Boston

I had more time than I wanted to go over everything that had happened between me and Ellie as I drove towards Boston. Despite being forced to leave our house and having to hide out in the cabin, the last couple of days were some of the best days of my life. Because of her.

I again, for the millionth time, wished my life was different, and that I could pursue an actual relationship with her. I knew she'd make me happy, and if I ever got the chance to be with her again, I'd do my damndest to make sure I kept that beautiful smile on her face.

Until then, I needed to make sure she was safe.

There was no way I was willing to risk her safety for my happiness. But, for the first time in many years, I felt a renowned sense of purpose, and an excitement about the potential that this may finally come to an end.

There was hope.

The hunter was getting closer, but my brother and I weren't as ignorant of the situation as he may think. And with Ellie back in my life, it felt like I actually had something to live for. Something to fight for.

I glanced at her in the rear-view mirror. Ellie was asleep with her head against the side window and Bear was almost on top of her. I understood she was tired because we'd kept each other up during the night, but I didn't feel bad. She could sleep when she got home to Willow.

I didn't regret give in to her for a second.

Having her breathless under me while our bodies were connected in the most intimate way was something otherworldly. Simply amazing, and something I wanted a lot more of. And that thought brought me back to the need to keep her safe.

My brother sighed next to me as he tapped on the keyboard of his laptop.

"Anything?" I asked.

"No. Everything appears to be fine around the hotel and as far as I can tell, nobody has been searching for her."

I knew he meant Ellie.

"That's good, isn't it, Sport?" 

"Yeah, it is."

Hearing him say that was a relief. 

"So what's with the sigh?"

"It bothers me that we don't know where the man is."

Yeah, I got that. It bothered me too. But for now, we were safe.

And maybe, just maybe, they didn't know who she was.

***

The residents of Boston had just begun to wake up when we pulled the car up outside the hotel where Ellie had been staying. It took her less than ten minutes to pack up and check out. During that time, I circled the block on the lookout for anything or anyone suspicious.

When she got back in the car with her luggage, she was fully awake and fiercely determined. It was like she'd made a decision during those ten minutes. Her jaw was set and there was a fire in those blue eyes that I remembered from long ago. She was gearing up for a fight and if my guess was right, it was against me.

"Austin," she began, and I couldn't help but smile. She was so cute, all businesslike, as she stared at me in the rear-view mirror.

"Yes," I answered.

"Where are you going to be from now on?"

"The Midwest," I responded while I turned the car onto the main road.

"I know that, but that's not good enough. I need specifics. Where and who are you gonna be?"

I exchanged a look with my brother, who, to my surprise, seemed calmer about this than I was. And a little amused.

"Kansas..." I admitted reluctantly.

She nodded, but wasn't satisfied with that. "And your new name?" she asked.

"I don't know yet."

I did know. Jim Lennon.

"Bullshit," Ellie snapped, which received a chuckle from my brother.

"Honestly Ellie, the less you know, the better it is for both of us."

"Seriously, Austin," she said, and put her foot down. Literally. "You really, truly think I'm going to let you go again? Just like that?"

Her determined expression made me smile despite the disagreement. It was so typical of her. So familiar.

"Or is that what you want?" she continued when I didn't respond. "Is this over again?" She asked and gestured from me to her. "Was this just a hookup for old times' sake?"

"Damn," my brother groaned. "I'm not sure I want to hear this."

"So go," Ellie said and glared at him. "Because we're talking about it."

He shook his head with a chuckle because it wasn't that easy for him to go anywhere since we were in the car on the way to the airport. Instead, he took his earphones out of his pocket and put them in his ears.

I braced for what I knew was coming.

"Continue," he said and pressed a button on his phone.

I glanced back at Ellie, who sat rigid in the backseat with her eyes fully focused on me.

My answer was short, but it wasn't simple. "No..."

Walking away wasn't what I wanted. To have her with me, cook breakfast together, walk in the woods, have her wrapped up in my arms at night, that was what I wanted. But I didn't know how. Because having her with me was a risk I wasn't willing to take.

"Don't you dare delete my new number," she threatened.

I sighed. "Ellie..."

"No. Damn it," she snapped. "Don't Ellie me and think of ways to keep us apart. Think of ways we can stay together. This is not over, Austin! Do you hear me?"

A small smile tugged at the sides of my mouth. "Yeah, I hear you."

And damn if those words didn't go straight to my aching heart.