He

Ellie seemed to have herself together when she came into my hospital room, but she freaked out when she saw my bandaged face

Ellie seemed to have herself together when she came into my hospital room, but she freaked out when she saw my bandaged face. I reassured her over and over that I was alright. However, that didn't stop her from giving me a thorough examination that included several kisses and pat downs all over my body to the point I had to ask her to stop, or I'd spring an erection right there in the room in front of my brother and her brother-in-law.

"I'll be okay, Ellie," I promised at her glowering face. And I knew it would be. I was in for some therapy and there was going to be pain in my future once the pain meds wore off, but at least I had one. Thanks to Brian.

"You better," Ellie responded simply, which made me chuckle.

The doctor assured her I would heal up just fine. He had removed the bullet and the pieces of the bone it had chipped. I couldn't feel any of it yet, but my leg was wrapped in a removable brace from my ankle to my knee.

Ellie thanked the doctor, but she wasn't ready to just take his word for it. She needed to make sure I was okay. As soon as he left, she gave me another more thorough exam. Once she was satisfied and determined that I'd do, she sat down on the chair next to the bed and clasped my hand in hers and refused to let go, which was fine with me. I never wanted to be apart from her ever again. Not even for a night.

And I never wanted to go hog hunting again, either.

My brother had stood back and listened to the doctor, and let Ellie fuss over me. He very much looked like he was calm and in control, but I knew better. I sensed the storm brewing behind his dark eyes. He was questioning- just like I was -whether this was it? If our life on the run was finally over, or if there was more to come.

"Did you talk to Brian?" I asked him.

He nodded.

"Is he here?"

"At the Police station, I think. He was when I talked to him earlier. But I think his friend is downstairs."

Spero. He would be. Waiting for Ellie, most likely, just in case she needed anything. Maybe that should have bothered me, but it no longer did. Both he and Brian had helped get me get to the hospital, and I knew after Ellie's display of affection earlier that he was no competition. Ellie wanted me just as much as I wanted her, and I was going to prove to her just how much that was.

"I'll find out where Brian is," Ellie offered. "I was going to call my sister anyway because we need someone to let Bear out, right?"

"Yeah, shit," Sport sighed. "Thanks, Ellie."

"I'll be right back," she said and gave me a stern look, like she needed to tell me to stay in the bed. I chuckled because it wasn't like I could move anywhere.

"I have to tell you something," I told my brother once the door closed behind Ellie.

"What?" he asked and stepped closer to the bed so he could sit on the chair Ellie had occupied. His eyes narrowed like he thought he needed to focus on whatever I was going to say.