Georgia

6 months later

6 months later

Ellie had been to Kansas four times over the last six months, and we'd made another trip back to Memphis, a week long one. Still, it wasn't enough time with her, but it was more than I would've expected I'd ever get to have with her a year ago. And I had learned how to appreciate the time we had.

With Lloyd back in our lives, things got easier. I was able to get a job, a virtual position similar to what I had at BioloGen, with almost the same salary. That helped my confidence a lot because that money went a long way in Kansas compared to Boston. Especially when I didn't have to consider commuting expenses.

The only negative part was that both me and my brother worked from home. So instead of just having his computer setup, which looked more like a space station in the dining area, there were two. But my desk was pushed up against the back of the couch.

The living situation was cramped and a home decorator would've probably cried if they saw it, but it worked for us, and it was temporary. The increase in income made things easier all around, and it made me feel like I wasn't just smooching off my brother. It also made it possible for me to travel, and to buy Ellie tickets to come visit. Not that she let me buy all of them, but she agreed to half.

And I could compromise. As long as she I got to see her.

I loved having her at the house. She fit right in with me, my brother, and Bear. And Bear seemed to be almost as smitten with her as I was. She gave him belly rubs and snuck him treats when I didn't think we saw it.

"I think he likes her better than you," my brother teased, and it might be true. I'd even be okay with it.

Ellie brought laughter to the house, and slowly but surely we returned to an easiness, a comfort that we'd been lacking for months. Maybe even years.

But Ellie wasn't just great with Bear. She joined me in the kitchen and cooked with me. She listened to my brother's attempts to explain exactly what it was he did for work-with a lot more patience than I ever had-and she played with Bear. At night, we all took long walks after dinner, and she even joined in when we practiced our martial arts.

"I'm gonna kick your ass one of these days," she'd flirted.

I'd laughed and said, "I'd like to see you try." But the truth was that she had gotten stronger and leaner. And while she wouldn't be able to take me, she was definitely able to defend herself. I was impressed with both her dedication and her results. She seemed more comfortable, and self assured than she used to be.

Knowing that her sister and brother-in-law were aware of our situation and supported her decision to continue our relationship helped a lot. It made it easier for me to deal with us being apart.

But even with all that, I missed her every damned day. FaceTime and phone calls only did so much. I missed having her in my arms and waking up to her next to me with my face buried in her soft hair.

I knew for a fact that Ellie was the one for me. The one I once had to leave behind. I wasn't going to do that ever again. We wanted to be together, so we made the best of the time we had. Our relationship was good despite the long distance between us because we made an effort and we wanted it to work.

Mine and my brother's lives had been quiet ever since our father was killed, and as time went on, we relaxed our routines a little. It was nice to be able to go to the supermarket and not expect some crazy man to jump out at every aisle.

Whoever killed our father had not been caught, but the Police were working on it and claimed they had some leads. We were pretty sure the man from Boston was involved, and there had been no further sightings of him, so it appeared like he got what he was after.

At that was why my bag was packed and I was ready for a visit I'd waited many years for.

"Ready to go back to back to Willow?" My brother asked as I put the bag into the backseat of the car.

"Yeah," I chuckled. "As ready as I'll ever be, I guess. It's strange, but I can't wait to see Ellie and what's changed around there."

There was so much I wanted to do and see. Silly things like see the high school, and visit the park we used to hang out in with our friends. I wanted to drive by the house where we used to live. But most of all I just wanted to be with Ellie.

He smiled.

I was a little nervous about the trip too, but I didn't tell him that. It had been a long time since I'd seen her family and I wanted them to like me.

"It's the first time one of us gets to go back to a place we've lived," he said somberly.

I nodded. It would be a first to visit places where I'd made memories.

We'd had a long conversation with Lloyd about it and he'd agreed it should be safe for me to go back to Georgia.

"There is no sign that there is anything to be concerned about," he'd said in his deep, baritone voice. "It seems like the man has given up. You should be good to travel just like anybody else."

Those words had been music to my ears.

Lloyd helped get me a Kansas driving license and a credit card in the name of James Lennon since that was the name I'd gone by the entire time we'd been in Kansas. As soon as they arrived, I booked the plane ticket.

"Maybe you should come along," I suggested to my brother for probably the third time, but he shut me down. Again.

"Someone has to watch Bear."

And that was true. But I also think it was his way of giving me and Ellie and chance to be together, just the two of us. To explore and plan our future.

I couldn't wait.