Mr & Mrs Lennon

"Wow, you look different," Austin said when I stepped out of the bathroom after having showered and gotten ready while he touched base with his brother

"Good, that's the whole point."

I had parted my hair on the side and pulled it back into a tight, low bun. It was a style I never used. Usually, my hair was pulled back into a messy bun on top of my head or in a simple ponytail. And if I wore it down, it was usually parted in the middle.

A pink lipstick and a pair of large movie star sun glasses together with a light yellow sun dress completed my outfit.

Austin smiled back at me. "Thank you for taking this seriously."

"Why wouldn't I?" I asked with a frown. "It's for your safety."

"And yours."

"Yeah..." That was the strange part. We had fled from the bad people in Boston and I'd watched my back and worried about what could be around every corner once I got back to Georgia, but as time went on, I got comfortable back in my old life. But spending time with Austin brought all that anxiety back.

Things had changed. He was no longer William or Austin, but Jim. Jim Lennon. And when we were out in public, that was what I had to call him, which felt very strange.

His hair was still very short, but instead of being clean shaven he had the light scruffy look that came from not shaving for a couple of days. I thought it was super sexy, and I kept reminding him of that, which might be one of the reasons he kept it.

"Are you ready to go?" he asked and stood up from where he'd been sitting on the bed.

"Yeah."

I grabbed my new crossbody bag while Austin pulled a plain black baseball cap down low on his head.

"How was your brother?" I asked him.

"He'd good. Everything's good."

"Bear too?"

He chuckled. "Yes, Bear too. He's probably loving it."

That made me giggle, but I could see it.

"Is it easier to get snacks from your brother?"

"Yeah, that's for sure."

I slipped on my sandals and was ready for a day out with Austin.

Just as we reached the door, he took me into his arms and kissed me like we hadn't spent most of the night in each other's arms. Not that I complained. Being with him was all I ever wanted.

We took our time and spent the entire day sightseeing like a couple of lovesick tourists. The weather was beautiful and there was so much to explore. We started with breakfast in a little cafe near the Mississippi River, followed by a tour of Elvis Presley's Graceland, and a visit to the Rock and Soul Museum, before we ended up on Beale street in the evening.

"I love this," I told him.

"Memphis?"

"Well, yeah, but just being with you like this."

He bent down and placed a soft kiss on my lips. It was innocent and in public, but it was enough to make my heart flutter.

We strolled hand in hand along the crowded street and dipped into a few different bars and clubs for a quick beer and to listen to all the various music bands before we ended the night with a late but romantic dinner.

Austin led me into a barbeque style restaurant that had a live blues band playing in the bar area. There were a few other couples waiting for tables near the hostess desk, but the restaurant itself wasn't crowded and I could see that there were empty tables in the back. Most of the crowd surrounded the bar and the tall bar tables around it.

"I'm going to the bathroom," I told Austin as he was about to approach the hostess for a table.

He stiffened, and his eyebrows narrowed over his dark eyes. "Be careful," he urged.

I couldn't help but chuckle. He'd worried about me going to the bathroom by myself all day, just because I was out of sight for a couple of minutes. But everything had been fine, and we hadn't seen anyone, or anything, suspicious and there had been a lot of people around. The only exciting thing all day had been a rowdy bunch of happy and intoxicated tourists. I loved it and couldn't wait to do it all over again.

"I know the drill by now," I promised. "I will be right back."

"Okay." His face softened into a small smile. "I'll wait right here."

When I returned a couple of minutes later, Austin stood where he promised he'd be. He had his back up against the wall, and was talking to a young, beautiful woman I assumed was the hostess. I felt a twinge of jealousy as I pictured all the women he'd run into when we were apart, but the thought disappeared as soon as Austin saw me. He smiled that breathtaking smile of his and immediately wrapped an arm around my shoulders when I reached him.

"Let me grab a couple of menus," the young woman said with a twang and a big smile, which made me feel foolish for thinking she was flirting with Austin.

"Thank you."

She was back a minute later. "Mr. and Mrs. Lennon, right this way," she said. I didn't react at all at first, but Austin nodded and reached for my hand as he followed her.

"We're married?" I asked him teasingly once we were seated at a small table in the back of the restaurant near an emergency exit. I knew Austin had asked for that table for safety reasons and I didn't even blink when Austin took the chair against the wall, so he had the view of the restaurant.

"It was easier that way," he responded and, to my surprise, blushed. "Do you mind?"

"No." I shook my head vigorously back and forth. "No," I said again for emphasis. "Not at all." Because being married to him would be the ultimate dream come true. Just what I'd always wanted.

If he was to suggest we'd do it for real, I'd be all in, despite the limited time we'd seen each other since high school. I'd follow him to the end of the earth if he'd let me.

Austin smiled that beautiful, knee weakening smile again, and I felt myself smile right back. I was so in love with him it was overwhelming. And despite all my teenage dreams of one day becoming Mrs. Austin Johnson, I didn't need a marriage or an extravagant proposal or even a ring. I just wanted the ability to be with him.

"Maybe one day I won't have to hide," he said like he knew what I'd been thinking, his expression sobering. "And hopefully I'll be able to have a job so I can get you the kind of wedding you deserve."

The smile fell off my face. "I don't care who you have to say you are, or what you need to be." I said and swallowed down the emotions that stirred inside me. "I know who you are in here," I said and tapped on my own chest. "I just want the opportunity to be by your side."

Austin leaned forward and pressed his lips to mine. "I love you, Ellie."

My heart felt like it was about to implode. "I love you too."

We smiled at each other so close that we were almost nose to nose. I was so ridiculously happy. There could have been unicorns floating around and fireworks going off, and I wouldn't have noticed. Which is why we didn't notice the man that stepped up next to us until he cleared his throat and we both froze.