3- Who's coming?

"I know you told me you weren't one to go on runs. That you wanted a break from being out there, but we could really use your help, we lost Zach on our last run," Glenn started as he took a seat at the same table as Alden. "You're one of the few people here who really has experience with being out there."

Alden sighed. He knew it had only been a matter of time before they would ask him, especially now that they had lost someone else. "Alright then, who's coming?"

"Daryl, Sasha, Maggie and I." He tapped his fingers on the metal table surface with each name rhythmically. "Bob and Tyreese are too shaken up to join, they're going to need a little more time before they're ready to go on runs again." He paused briefly. "You do know you can say no if you don't want to go, right?"

Alden rested his head in his hands for a couple of seconds before he looked up again. "If something happens, if I don't make it back, can you promise that you and Maggie will look after Rose?"

"Of course we will," Glenn nodded.

"Right," Alden nodded. "When are we leaving?"

"Tomorrow morning. The car's already parked by the gate, that's where we'll gather before we leave. The only thing you need to take with you are your weapons."

It would have been an understatement to say that Rose was upset about Alden leaving

It would have been an understatement to say that Rose was upset about Alden leaving. They hadn't been away from each other since their old camp fell, and that was weeks ago. She had gone as far as insisting that she would come with them. Alden managed to talk her down with a little bribery. A promise of shooting lessons from Rick ensured that Rose was alright with Alden leaving, although hesitantly.

That morning Alden gathered his weapons and left before she had woken up. He wore his gun in his trusty holster on his thigh and his knife in a sheath strapped to his belt. He made his way to the gate across the gravel path.

"Good, you're here," Maggie greeted. "Thought I was the only one that would show up early."

"Couldn't sleep," he admitted. "Rose took the news pretty rough, I had to bribe her with shooting lessons. But I don't think I want her to handle a gun. I think she could tell I was scared," he chuckled awkwardly. "I'm not even scared of the walkers, I'm scared of running into people. They're scarier."

"Glenn mentioned something about you having a bad run in," she said.

He crossed his arms and nodded. "You could say that," he sighed. "Four men, outdoor looking types. We were stupid enough to think we were safe. We huddled around their campfire and my brother's throat was slit right in front of me." He paused and looked into the distance. "The sound he made, the gurgling and choking. It was horrible," he shuddered. "I fought them, my whole group did. I wanted all of them dead, but that only got more people killed. All because I wanted revenge. I was knocked on my ass and lost my gun. One of them was choking me. My vision started to blur, I was about to pass out. But then a gunshot rang out and he dropped dead on my chest."