49- Dead silent

"You're mad at me." Carol spoke up to Maggie. She and Laura had been organizing all the weapons they had in one of the side rooms, away from the crowd.

"You let Negan out of his cage and he helped them attack Hilltop." She bit back. "That didn't need to happen. People, my people, died. Your daughter would've died if Aaron, Jesus and I hadn't gotten her out of there."

"I'm sorry." She replied solemnly. "I never wanted that to happen."

"And that's the only reason I can stomach it." Maggie sighed. "You got your revenge on Alpha, Negan did what you wanted in the end. It didn't fix a damn thing, maybe even made it worse." She continued. "But you got your revenge for Henry." She added, bitterly. She'd never gotten her revenge for Glenn, and she never would. She softened up her stance. She wouldn't let her anger get in the way of their years of friendship. "Be careful out there. I can't lose more people."

"You too." Carol said. Then she left with the group that was preparing themselves to go out in the horde.

Maggie felt disappointed about the fact Negan wasn't going out there with them as well. He'd cited that it was because he was on every whisperer's kill list. The problem was that she didn't care for his wellbeing at all and if it would've been up to her alone she'd have pushed him out into the horde herself. But it wasn't up to her alone so all she did, all she could do, was stare him down, even from where she stood in the small side room. He let out a heavy sigh and walked over to her.

"The kids... I'll keep them safe. Anything they do to them they'd have to do to me first." He told her. This time he made sure to keep his distance because he didn't want to be pinned against a wall by her again.

Maggie kept her mouth shut and looked to Laura for an answer instead.

"He's a dick but he's speaking the truth on this one." She replied. "You can trust on that."

"Then I will." She nodded. She wasn't going to spend anymore time on him now, there was a job to get done. She flagged Lydia down after she left Negan behind her. "Think you can spot whisperer's from up here within the horde?"

"Yes." She nodded eagerly. She was desperate to help because she wanted to prove herself to Oceanside too.

Maggie hoped that her need to prove herself would fade soon. She had already proven herself as one of them over and over again. But Oceanside saying otherwise had brought her right back down again.

"I'm going to need you to point them out to the archers to protect our people out there." She explained as she began to walk towards one of the long hallways that faced the courtyard. Lydia followed behind her.

Gabriel had already had the archers set up shop there because it had a good view of the courtyard and windows that could open fully and allow them to shoot down at the horde.

"Are we finally going to do something?" Rose asked hopefully when she saw them walk up. Standing around and doing nothing made her antsy, especially with a herd right outside.

"There isn't anything we can do to stop them. Even if we land every shot and use up all our arrows, it won't be enough." Dianne added, tiredly.

"There's one thing we can do. That's why Lydia's here." Maggie countered.

Lydia stared down at the horde through her binoculars and scanned the endless horde of the dead for whisperers scattered within.

"There." She quickly pointed the first one out. "In the center. Brown plaid shirt."

Rose looked towards the spot pointed out by Lydia and there, within the mass, was one walker with his arm slightly raised and a knife in their hand. That wasn't a walker, that was a Whisperer.