72- Normal

Maggie thought the worst was over after Leah had been killed. They'd left her body in a shed to rot, it was more than she deserved. But worse still awaited her at the Whisperer hide-out. To see Alden in the state he was in clawed at her throat. She'd lost Glenn and barely survived that. If Alden died, she wouldn't survive. She couldn't lose them both. It was painfully clear that none of them had any medical training. There was a bandage around his head, but it didn't look proper. The same went for the fashioned pressure bandage around his waist.

She wanted to call out to him. To scream, maybe cry. But Tara stopped her before she could.

"He's alive. His breathing is fine. Heart rate is a little low, but stable." She said. "We found him passed out in the woods. He woke up and we talked to him. He was a little out of it, but he was oriented in place and time."

Maggie went down to her knees beside him. "Then why is he unconscious?"

"Pain. Exhaustion. Blood loss." Jesus summed up. "Combination of it all."

"He needs help. Medical treatment from people who know what they're doing." Maggie stressed as she carefully touched his shoulder. She knew he wouldn't make it if they didn't find help fast.

"There's only one place that has that." Aaron said.

Maggie swallowed. "The Commonwealth."

Maggie couldn't quite believe it herself, but they'd made a deal with the Commonwealth

Maggie couldn't quite believe it herself, but they'd made a deal with the Commonwealth. Everyone moved there temporarily. The Commonwealth promised them to help them rebuild. The deal meant Alden got the medical care he deserved and needed. It had been touch and go for a while, but he'd pulled through. Now it was only a matter of time before he'd wake up.

When Alden opened his eyes everything around him had a sterile white color. Even the lights above him were too white and for a second he thought he was dead. When he looked around he realized it wasn't so. Maybe he still was, it wasn't quite clear to him. The room he was in appeared to be a hospital room. Maggie was there, but she looked different. Her hair was washed and combed. Her clothes were clean and neat. Even the way she sat was too relaxed, leaned back in a comfy armchair with a book in her lap.

It made him believe he was dead after all. He'd never seen her as, well, normal as this.

"Maggie?" He whispered, softly.

The book fell closed on her lap and a smile played on her lips. "Hey."

It was only then that he noticed the wires and tubing seemingly all over his body and the mild pain radiating from his hip. "Where are we? What is this?" Maggie was too relaxed for him to be alarmed, but he didn't fully trust it either.

She stood up and sat down on the edge of the bed beside him. "You were shot."

The rusted cogs in his brain came back into motion slowly, but a fog he couldn't quite lift remained. "Leah was the one that shot me." He looked around again and this place still didn't make much sense to him.