59- They'll pay

Jesus ran into the other group the next morning. He was out of it, gripped with fear and anger. Simply put; he was in fight or flight mode. It had all gone wrong for him, Carl and Rose after the sun came up. And now he was running on adrenaline and jumped at every little sound, ready to attack. So when he heard the smallest shuffle of a he readied himself to throw his knife. But once they only realized it was only Alden and Maggie they relaxed.

"Oh, thank god." Alden breathed out. "We thought you were one of them, but it's just you."

"Hey." Maggie gave him a quick hug.

"Wait." Alden frowned. "Negan said he last saw you with Carl and Rose. Where are they?"

Jesus was silent for a couple of seconds, still too stunned to put words to what had just happened. He couldn't get the words to leave his throat. He couldn't tell Alden what had happened, and he couldn't tell Maggie.

"Where are they?" Alden repeated, this time more stressed.

"They took them." He finally replied in a small voice. "We got in a fight and they locked me out of the room. I couldn't go back to help them."

"They're dead?" Alden's voice was nothing more than a trembling broken whisper. "No." His whole body began to tremble.

"No." He shook his head. "They're alive. They have them now."

"They're going to keep them alive so they can use them against us." Maggie told Alden, as if to comfort him.

Her words did nothing to calm his nerves, they only made it worse. They had the only person that he'd protected throughout all of it after the world ended. He'd already failed her many times before and now he'd failed her again. First by allowing her to come here and now by letting her be taken by them to be used as a pawn against them.

He pulled away from her and shook his head slightly. He tried to brush past her, "I'm going to find her."

Maggie grabbed him by the collar of his coat and pulled him back. "They'll kill you." She snapped at him. "We'll stick to the plan. We're stronger now that Jesus is here." She narrowed her eyes to carry her point across. "Go back to the others with Jesus. I'll find one of the Reapers and lead them back to you."

"I'm not letting you go after one of them on your own." He objected as he shook his head. "No one should be on their own here."

"Yeah, you will. Now go." She pointed them the opposite way and set off down the hallway herself.

Alden grunted softly. He loved Maggie but she could be stubborn and not listen to anyone, like she did now. He didn't even have the energy to go after her right now and try to reason with her. And they didn't have the time either. He walked down the hallway silently, not looking back whether or not Jesus followed him. He was pretty sure he would.

Elijah and Negan waited for them by the dead end of the long hallway. They knew something had happened by reading both men's faces and both decided to stay quiet.

"False alarm." Alden sighed. "It was only Jesus. Maggie's trying to get one of them back here right now." He continued as he pushed two door opens. "So it's back to our old plan; get out of view from the hallway and wait."

Maggie rattled every door she came across as loud as she could, doing everything to lead at least one of them to her. And it wasn't long before one of them showed up. The same one as last night, Carver. He looked incredibly smug, like he had this in the bag. But he didn't know what he had coming for him.

She took a step back whilst feigning to be startled by him. She began to walk backwards; back to where she knew the others were. She ran back and rattled more doors she knew were locked already. She pretended to be terrified whilst keeping Carver at just the right distance from her.