12- Homecoming

Once they parked the car it was only a couple minutes walk to Hilltop. Sasha had made sure to park the car in such a place that it wouldn't lead right back to them. The sun was about to come up and the dark sky was already starting to lighten up.

A wall made out of wooden beams standing straight up doomed up in the distance of what Alden presumed to be Hilltop. A roof and upper floor from some sort of large structure stuck out on top. He realized just how tired he was as his limbs were starting to feel heavier with each step he took.

"Sasha, think you could take my gun off me?" Alden asked as they walked straight through the grassfield to reach the gates.

"Why? You saved my ass. I don't really trust you, but I used to trust you. I wanna trust you're still that guy; hidden behind all that shit you pulled." She frowned. "And besides, you're still a shit shot."

"Call me selfish, but I wanna live." He replied. "I'm not planning on taking any more risks with my life or Rose's than strictly necessary. I'm fully aware that I'm walking in there as the enemy, or at least someone unknown in a very tense time."

"Throwing it on the ground in front of the gate is probably enough." She shrugged. "It's less suspicious than you showing up unarmed with blood on your hands."

"You're probably right." He let his shoulders hang. They continued their way to the gate across the path.

"Sasha!? Is that you?" The guy standing on top of the gate yelled excited and relieved. Then his face turned sour. "Who's that? Who'd you bring?"

Sasha looked back at them. "They got me out. They got me back here."

"Not here to fight." Alden yelled back up to him as he threw his gun to the ground followed by his knife. He turned to Rose and she followed his example.

"Kal, could you-" Sasha began.

"Yeah, just wait here." He replied before she'd even finished her sentence. He left his post and disappeared.

"Like we would go anywhere." Alden sighed tiredly.

The gate opened slowly. Its weathered mechanism squeaked slightly. Alden's face lid upon seeing a recognizable face.

"Maggie?" He asked with a shaky voice. He was frozen in place from the shock. He was looking at a ghost. He began to shake. He felt dissociated from the moment, like this wasn't really happening. He felt like his eyes were betraying him. He couldn't comprehend that this was actually happening. He was roughly pulled back to reality when Maggie stormed at him and punched him square on his jaw. He fell down onto his back. His backpack cushioned his fall for the most part and kept his back arched awkwardly. He instinctively put his hands in front of his face with his palms facing out to protect it.

"Maggie!" Sasha said sternly as she held a now sobbing Rose close to her.

Maggie ignored her and got her gun out. She gritted her teeth together and pressed the barrel of her gun up against Alden's forehead.

"Maggie, think about this." Jesus said calmly as he came up behind her. "He brought Sasha back."

"You don't know what he did." She growled back. She let the barrel bite into his skin.

"But I do." Sasha insisted as she stepped forward and pushed Rose behind her. She didn't want her to see what she feared was about to happen. "He got me out safely. He saved me, Maggie. He's the only reason I'm back here right now."

Alden hadn't moved an inch. He was too afraid he'd take a bullet to the brain if he did. He couldn't hide the fear in his eyes as he looked up at her with wide eyes. Maggie pressed the barrel of her gun down tighter and the barrel dug into his skin.