80- Peace

Even before the gates were opened Pamela was arrested by Mercer, that was one headache out of the way. Barely a couple of seconds later Gabriel opened the gates. A stampede of people flooded in like a tidal wave. None of them could be blamed for their fear, a lot of them hadn't seen a walker in years.

People tripped and threatened to fall. Soon people would be trampled. Jesus ran forward and saved a young boy before that awful fate befell him. Saving these defenseless people had to be their first priority.

The last people had barely made it inside when Mercer yelled, "close the gates. Now!"

Alden ran ahead and slammed one half of the gates shut. Ezekiel shut the other half and Gabriel chained them back up hastily.

In the mass of scared strangers were two familiar faces everyone was relieved to see unharmed; Elijah and Jerry. Lydia and Elijah found each other in seconds and embraced each other tightly. She looked a hundred times better immediately. Jerry called out for his family and started to panic. Ezekiel ran forward and assured him that they were safe.

The first walkers slammed against the gate. Alden and Gabriel backed away quickly. Walkers threatened to be ripped apart by the sheer force of those behind them pushing them forward, but the gate held. For now at least.

Jesus set the boy back down. He was no older than five years old. "Hey, kid, my name's paul. What's yours?" He asked.

"Timmy." The little boy replied, sniffling. "I don't know where my aunt is." His bottom lip quivered.

"We'll look for her, maybe we can find her." He took the boy's hand in his and they began to make their way through the crowd. There was a pit in Paul's stomach, he knew they might not be able to find the boy's aunt, but at least he was safe.

Alden, Carl and Aaron found themselves standing together by chance.

"Where's Maggie?" Aaron asked. "She was in the house and then she was gone."

Alden shrugged. "I think it has something to do with Negan. It's never my place to question her when it has to do with him. Or she's with Adam, I don't know."

Carl looked around. "Oh, you've got to be kidding me." He grumbled and rushed away without any further explanation.

Aaron and Alden followed him with their gaze and saw he was running towards Judith. Carl was happy and relieved to see she was back on her feet, but he didn't want to see her outside in this mess. He was already kicking himself for letting her come here in the first place.

"Judith, get back inside." He rasped.

"But I can help. People still need our help." She objected. Her injured arm rested in a sling and she looked incredibly pale.

"Judith." He pinched the bridge of his nose. He'd already nearly lost her today and he couldn't bear the thought of going through that again. He closed his eyes and sighed. When he opened them a second later Judith had disappeared, something had pulled her attention away. She was walking towards the gate and Carl followed her. "Judith!"

She didn't listen, there was someone that needed her help. Pamela stood in front of the gate, almost leaning against it. A walker reached through the bars and held her shoulder tightly and drew her in closer. Carl recognized the face of that walker. It was Lance Hornsby, the snake, with one of Carol's arrows through his neck.

Judith took another step closer, she had to try and help. "We have to help them, Governor. All the people that are still out there. It's not too late. It's never too late." She pleaded desperately.

A gunshot rang out and Lance's corpse dropped to the ground. Pamela jumped back, startled, as blood splattered on her face. It took Alden a moment to orientate where the shot came from, but when he did he saw it came from Maggie.