37- Stupid

And that was what helping a stranger in this broken world got you.

Rose wasn't alone; she wasn't the only one caught by her. She hadn't recognized Alpha at first. She looked just like the next blonde woman with wavy curls. She should've known.

She spoke softly and told her she got turned around. Rose had thought it was odd because she could hear the fair from where they were. She was stupid. She should've known that this woman couldn't possibly belong to any of the communities. She should've known.

But Rose still had Hope in her arms. So she told her she'd come back after putting her down for a nap and she'd walk her back. She hadn't thought anything of it then.

Stupid.

Stupid.

Stupid.

When she came back the woman was still speaking softly, almost like a whisper. It was creepy. That woman was creepy. And then it clicked. This wasn't some woman named Deborah, it was Alpha.

Rose reached for her knife that wasn't there because she had left it with Earl. Alpha followed her movement and pulled out her own knife and pressed it against her throat tightly.

"One sound and I'll take you and that little girl you were just with." She hissed into her ear.

Rose knew she wasn't kidding and stayed silent, praying someone would come around the corner.

No one showed up and the world went dark and silent around her.

Stupid.

Stupid.

Stupid.

And now she was here in and old barn. On her knees with her hands tied behind her back and rag tied around her head to gag her. Henry was on her left and Sasha was on her right, both in the same situation. Enid was across from her, also similarly screwed. Then there was Frankie who she still recognized from Sanctuary. The next three were all from Hilltop as well: Rhodney, Addy and Tammy. And then lastly there was Syddiq.

And they were all screwed.

They were all going to die.

Then the old worn doors blew open and DJ and two of the highwaymen broke in. Now, they had a chance.

Michonne and Carl let the small group through the forest.

"So all she did was show you a herd and threaten us?"

"yes." Daryl replied.

"That doesn't make any sense." Carl insisted. "Not that people walking around with faces of the dead do, but still."

"And that border she mentions is supposed to be marked." Tara repeated for herself. "Bit random."

Then they heard the muffled screaming coming from higher up on the hill.

"Siddiq!" Michonne called out the second she saw him and ran towards him.

He was tied to a tree by his wrists. The tree split into two at the base. The group could see that someone else was tied to the very same tree, but from where they stood they could only see unmoving legs smeared with blood and mud, leaves clinging to the wetness. Maggie was the first to round the tree as Michonne pulled the gag from Siddiq's mouth and sent him into a coughing fit.

"Rose." Maggie's voice carried shock and horror. She fell down to her knees upon seeing what they'd done to her, Tara and Carol rounding the tree too.

She had her eyes closed and her skin was pale. There was so much blood on her, too much to only be hers. The wound on forehead was surrounded by dried cracked blood trailing down her face. But that wasn't what had horrified Maggie. It wasn't what deformed her face.