f o u r t e e n

"Kevin, I have to leave early today. You know the drill, call me if it's important, if it's not I'll take care of it on Monday." 

Kevin nods, "I will, Chief." 

Harry nods back at him, not even bothering to say bye to the asshole. 

"Louis, love, we have to leave," Harry tells him, arriving at his desk. 

He's much more comfortable calling Louis whatever he wants while working now since he realized he's the boss and they can't do anything about it. 

He also very much knows everyone respects him at his precinct and he has nothing to worry about. 

"Ah, right, court," Louis smiles, excusing himself to Linda who he was talking to. 

"Good luck, you two. And congratulations, Chief." 

Harry smiles, bigger than he normally would at work, "Thank you, Linda."

Louis smiles too and grabs his things, if not for Harry he would've forgotten his wallet, phone and keys. 

God bless his husband to be. 

"I feel like I'm waiting for my best mate's child to be born or something, even though I'm already an uncle," Zayn chuckles

Harry laughs, "Well you'll be the official uncle in an hour, I guess."

"I'll see you guys tonight!" 

Louis nods, "See you!" 

They walk to court, since it's only 2 minutes away from the station. 

"Are you nervous?" Louis asks. 

"About being a dad? No, I really want this. Nervous they will deny it, yes."

Louis breathes in shakily, "It's okay. They won't, your record is great and Luke has one parent right now." 

Harry nods and looks up when their names are called. They go into courtroom with sweaty palms, Louis is quite sure Harry will be accepted though. 

"So, Harry Styles, you want to adopt Lucas Tomlinson?" 

Harry nods, "Yes, your honor." 

"Can you explain to me why that is and your relations to Lucas at this exact moment."

Harry nods again while Louis rubs his thigh before he stands up, "I've been in a serious relationship with his dad, Louis Tomlinson for almost a year and half. We've been engaged for 2 months now. I am Lucas legal guardian, have been for over six months since his mom isn't in the picture." 

"Why is his mom not in the picture?" 

Harry looks down at Louis for a second, "I don't think that's my story to tell, your honor."

"Fair, Louis Tomlinson, father of Lucas, would you like to tell it?" 

Louis nods, "Yes, your honor," he too, stands up before telling the story, "Lucas' mom has been convicted with child abuse. We had a custody agreement where she only saw him one weekend every two weeks but after I saw Lucas coming back with.. uhm." 

Harry links their fingers and rubs his thumb over his hand to calm him. 

Louis sighs and blinks his eyes a few times, "I saw bruises on him after he came back from her place. I'm a detective so I knew I had to report it as soon as possible so I did. Ever since she lost her parental rights and is serving time in jail." 

"I'm very sorry to hear that, Detective Tomlinson. You've been investigated thoroughly when that happened, I assume?" 

"I have been, yes. We've added those records to the file, your honor."