Chapter Thirty- Nine

I was walking outside, trying to find comfort in the night sky.

I stared up at the stars, wishing on every big and bright one that I saw.

As I wished, it reminded me of when my mother would read me stories, when I was much younger.

I remember she stopped when I turned nine and yet, those stories always stayed with me.

There was always a big bad and the power of good always overcame it, leaving only a happy ending.

I realize now, why they were stories.

In the real world, good does not overcome evil and the monsters that lurk in the dark, determined to get you, they always win.

Yet, for some reason, as I stared up at the stars, I saw hope in those stars.

It was the happy ending at the end of each story.

Those stars represented those endings.

Perhaps that is why so many wish on stars.

"Cordelia!" Archibald called, running after me.

I turned around, wondering why he was all over the place.

He was stumbling and having trouble, as he ran towards me.

I do not believe I have ever realized how clumsy Archibald becomes when he has urgent news to tell.

"What is it?" I asked, wrapping my arms around my body.

"You need to come inside, right away" He said, grabbing my hand and pulling me with him.

I believe at this point, I have grown immune to his surprises

We ran indoors and he put a finger to his mouth, signaling for me to keep quiet.

I nodded and followed after him, as we snuck by Killian's library.

He carefully led me up the stairs, trying to remain quiet.

"What is going on?" I asked, whispering.

He shushed me and he pulled in to his room, where Samuel and Florence were waiting.

I closed the door behind me.

"Does anyone plan on telling me what exactly is going on?" I asked.

Florence stood "I must acquire some drinks for strength"

I watched as she left, growing more curious by her behavior.

"The voice is growing much louder" Archibald said, closing the door behind Florence.

I looked at him, confused "What does that mean?"

"It has been loud before, but never this loud. See, I've been developing this idea that perhaps the louder it becomes, the closer it gets to us, or rather you" He explained.

That did not answer my question.

He sat me down in a seat and looked down at me. "You see, the voice is so much louder, as though it were in this household"

My eyes widened "Do you believe it is here?"

"We are not entirely sure, because they remain inconclusive, which means that without appropriate proof, we are left stuck" He continued.

I shook my head "I don't understand. Either it is here or it isn't. What are we waiting for?"

"For it to show up" Samuel said, speaking up.