Chapter Nine

The frigid wind pierced through me, as Theodore and I walked down the street, with nothing to keep us warm and no place to go in the middle of the night.

 It had been hours since we left Elenora's farm house and the image of her blood- soaked body was still lurking in my mind. She lived so far out in that village, I couldn't help but wonder how long it would be until someone found her body.

Would anyone even mourn her?

None of it seemed to make any sense though. Was this the monster Elenora talked about? Monsters were not real, but the way he fed on her, it was terrifying and unreal. 

How could someone or something do that and still be able to look at themselves the same way?

I walked beside Theodore, trying to stay as close to him as I could.

He had been on the edge since we left Elenora's and I believe it was because we left her body there, without notifying anyone. 

Though she showed that she fancied him, it was still left unknown as to whether or not he returned those feelings- not that it mattered now.

Either way, I knew leaving her like that was difficult for him.

"Theodore, will you please speak?" I asked, hating the silence that had been consuming for hours.

"What is there to speak of?" he asked, his lips quivering from the cold air.

I sighed and pulled him aside, seeking comfort from an alley that was blocking the wind from hitting us further.

I knew he was not going to fully listen to me until I had his full attention.

"I know that leaving was difficult, but something attacked her and it could have attacked us. You were the one that was so insistent on leaving the farm house and now you're developing some kind of attitude, because of it" I said, trying to make sense of my own words at the same time and wondering if he could even understand me from how hard I was shivering.

He looked down at me, noticing my shaking and wrapped his arms around me, pulling me close for warmth "I know I'm not acting kindly, I'm just so unsettled by seeing her bloody and deceased" he sighed "This is not the first time I have seen a dead body though, but I have never seen someone's life ripped from them so violently before" 

I nodded "I know, but building up this tension will not make the situation any better, it will worsen it and then where will that leave us?"

"I know that you're right and acting in such a manner is doing no good for either of us. I apologize for my behavior" he said, pulling me closer.

I hugged him tightly "We have to stick together and I don't want to lose you"

He hugged me back "I don't want to lose you either, you mean too much to me"

He pulled away and put an arm around me "I should have grabbed a cover for you, you're shaking"

I shrugged "It's the wind. I'm sure once it dies down I will be fine again"

"If you believe so" he said, shaking his head "Why don't we continue down this alley, to avoid the wind and actually have a chance of keeping all fingers"

I nodded in agreement, though I could not chuckle at his attempt at humor, given the situation.

We continued walking and despite the already obvious cold weather, I felt an unusual chill go down my spine, immediately putting me on edge.

"Something isn't right" I whispered, quickly catching up to him.

Theodore looked at me, confused "What do you mean?"