Chapter Three

(Picture of Dr. Lennox)

My mother and father lied to the doctor in charge of the mental institution, outside of town. The things they uttered made me appear absolutely unbalanced.  

"She mutters the must disgusting obscenities, things that should not be mentioned by a young woman" my mother said, as the doctor took down notes.

How could they so easily throw me under?

"I just hate seeing loving and caring parents in such distress over their own child's mistakes" Dr. Lennox stated, leaning back in his chair, buying the lies my parents were feeding down his throat.  

"She moved her body in ways that expressed her uncontrolled libidinous feelings" my mother continued, while my father sat there, not denying a thing.

The doctor nodded and he wrote something down "It sounds like she is in need of severe treatment. I am going to suggest that we perform a pelvic exam"

"A pelvic exam?" my father asked finally speaking up, since we had arrived and he informed me not to speak a word.

"Yes, we've discovered that many people suffering from this sick disease, have a distinction that shows a main symptom, which can include an enlarged uterus" the doctor answered, while keeping eye contact with me.

"Do what you must we will sign her over to you, but she must be better before a new year" my father said, then looked at me "She's supposed to be getting married"

"We will do everything we can to restore her of her natural purpose as a woman" the doctor said, standing up "A woman's reproductive system remains quite a mystery, but we can assure you that anything that is wrong with her, it can be traced back to this system, which causes physical and mental disease. It's a sexual disease, but it can be cured."

I looked down, livid. I tightened my fists against my dress. I've been deceived, just to be fixed for a problem that was out of my control. I did not want to be attacked. I didn't want to get hurt, I just want to be home. I don't want to be in a place where I'm considered hysteric.

Hysteric is such a nasty word, why would anyone want to be assigned to a disease that was based on inaccurate symptoms, which I failed to possess. My parents were misleading a doctor, just so they wouldn't have to deal with a problem that would bring such negativity to our family name.

What I needed was to be protected from awful and vindictive men that would prey on the innocent. Those men were the one's with sexual diseases, not me!

"Just to be clear, women do not have sexual desires, is that correct?" my father asked.

The doctor nodded "Yes, it is true. Women are both physically and mentally weaker than men. Sexual desires are not correct in the make up of women, so to speak. Being able to care for a home and children are the only way for women to repay their husbands of the gift of marriage."

Gift of marriage? I couldn't help but stifle a laugh.

"This is a serious illness, young lady" Dr. Lennox said, shaking his head in disapproval.

"Please, just fix her, before she becomes a burden that will ultimately amount to nothing and bring nothing, except shame and low expectations upon this family" my father said, looking at the disappointment that I was.

"We will take very good care of her, Mr. Bellrose" Dr. Lennox said, extending his right hand.

My father and mother stood.

"Thank you, doctor" my father said, shaking his hand, firmly. "I expect a difference in behavior and to receive my money's worth"

Dr. Lennox nodded "Indeed you shall, sir"