Chapter Eighteen

(Cordelia's gown)

"Could we please skip the corset?" I asked, groaning. 

I had gotten so used to not wearing one and now here I was getting back into one yet again, just to fit the atmosphere. 

Needless to say, I have gotten along just fine without one of these death traps.

But instead of skipping it, I was now being forced into one, with the help of Rosalyn, while Florence looked through dresses.

Rosalyn chuckled "Were you always this stubborn about the topic of corsets?" 

I looked over at her, as she started looking in the mirror, at her own appearance.

"Of course, but I have always kept it to myself, up until now" I muttered.

"Cordelia, we must keep the look of everything as realistic as possible. The guests cannot know that unlike them, we are more lenient with things" Florence said, tightening the laces on the corset.

I stared in the mirror, looking at the black lace corset being tightened around me.

At least this corset looked more beautiful than the ones I had previously worn.

"It is a lovely corset" Rosalyn said, trying to be positive about it all.

"Come assist me with the gown, Rosalyn" Florence said, going back to the pile of gowns.

I looked at the options, seeing how dark and rich the colors were and I slumped back.

"Do you perhaps have anything lighter?" I asked, stepping forward.

Florence shook her head "We do not wear pale colors, you know that"

"And you never ran across a gown that was of light color, which you did not enjoy?" I asked.

"Well of course we have, but we always knew better than to invest in such a fashion that would do no good for our looks" Rosalyn said, giggling as though I had said the most ridiculous thing she'd ever heard.

"Any of these dresses would look lovely on you, Cordelia" Florence said, grinning as she ran her fingers over the gowns.

She turned back to me and looked me over.

"Perhaps the teal one?" Rosalyn suggested, holding up a dark teal dress, with black lace at the end of the sleeves.

Florence shook her head "No, the red and gold one" she approached me, while Rosalyn picked up the dress "Your pale skin and dark red hair will look beautiful with it"

Rosalyn approached us "Yes, I agree with that" she looked to Florence "Florence has a gift with clothing and colors. She is the one who told me that my best colors are silver, navy and rich purples"

I stared at the dress, noticing that it is not a dress of this time, but would certainly do the job of appearing so. 

"This dress will look lovely on you, Cordelia" Florence said, grinning as she lifted the dress over my head, as I held my arms up.

It truly was a beautiful dress and it was a little more tighter than expected, but yet still comfortable to move in. 

My mother would surely have a fit once seeing it, but it was certainly better than the dresses that she would pick out for me.

Rosalyn and Florence got the dress situated and I was in awe once seeing how I appeared.

I was absolutely surprised to see how beautiful I looked in it.