Chapter Six

Theodore and I had been walking endlessly for two days. I haven't properly regained what little strength I acquired, before entering the institution, but I wasn't quite as weak as I had been.

Theodore said it was a good sign that I hadn't fallen sick to an illness, because of what they had done to me, but I needed to continue being cautious, just in case I started showing symptoms.

We had yet to discover where we were meant to head towards. We couldn't just go to any old town, it had to be far away from the institution and anywhere close to my home. He was quite protective of me and though it was unusual, it was also comforting at the same time.

I guess feeling comfort was something I'd always longed for, without realizing the excessive need for it.

"Once we find a place, we must really create a plan that we could follow through" Theodore said, as we walked through the trees that hid most of the sunlight from us.

"A plan that remains realistic" I said, knowing that the life I originally lived would no longer be an option for my future.

He nodded "Yes, I know that the life you're used to, is quite different from my life, but we need to get by to the best of our abilities. Which means that you'll need to accustomed to a lesser life than you once had"

I sighed "I do not have a problem with that. I never enjoyed the expectations of a high class lifestyle, it was all too much to handle"

He stopped and looked around "Did you hear something?"

I shook my head, looking around paranoid "No, why?"

He looked around once more "I guess I can't help but become anxious, after leaving that place, with you. The last thing I want is for you to live a life of caution, because of me"

I shook my head "I owe you my life, Theodore. I would be dead right now, if it weren't for your heroic act"

"I'm no hero, Cordelia. Please remember that" he said, as though the word severely bothered him.

"I'll agree to it, but you need to remember that if not for you I'd be dead" I said, hoping he'd see that just because he was of a lower class, it didn't mean he was any less special.

We continued walking again and he looked over at me "We need to find you some new clothes, that dress is ratted and soon to fall apart"

I looked down at my dress and knew and he was right. After the horrific conditions of the room I was locked away in, this dress was of no value anymore. It was a shame though, if it was of its original value, I could turn it in for some extra things for us.

"Perhaps once we reach a town, we can find someone willing to hand over a dress" he said, guiding me down a path.

"Will people be looking for us?" I asked, worried at the thought of seeing Dr. Lennox or Nathaniel again.

"No, they wanted to get rid of you and in a way they have, you're of no value to them anymore. Nathaniel will not hurt you and he can continue leading his villainous life" he sighed "If anything, they will just say you died and will find a body to produce"

"I just feel bad for the girl that he does capture. She will be stuck in a life of misery, trying to satisfy his horrendous needs" I said, shaking my head at the reality I had just escaped.

"He'll get what he deserves eventually" Theodore said, as we came to a stop.

"Is that a town?" I asked.