Chapter Fifteen

(Picture of Archibald)

I awoke to the sound of voices.

More specifically arguing.

"Well excuse me if I do not find his new pet intriguing like the rest of these foolds" I heard, knowing I was the subject of the conversation.

I shook my head, realizing the voice belonged to Annabeth.

"But Annabeth, she really is quite lovely. I do not see why you refuse to get to know here" Florence said, defending me.

Was she this sweet towards everyone?

I slowly stood up, stretching my shoulders back, feeling an small ache in them.

Oh right, I had fallen asleep in the library, while reading one of the books Killian had recommended to me.

"Well that is because you were the most recently turned and have yet to associate humans as servants and food only" Annabeth replied, a cold tone filling her voice.

Florence scoffed at her remark.

"Yes, Florence, I am well aware that recently is used loosely, but with your strange thoughts and ideas, I just do not understand how you have yet to draw the line between food and company" Annabeth said, lecturing her as if Florence were a child "And Cordelia only fits one of them in my eyes, which I am sure Killian will also see soon"

I carefully approached the door, hiding behind it, despite it being half  open, hoping to hear anything else she might say about my presence here.

"But if you were to just give here a chance" Florence started, but was soon cut off by Annabeth.

"How am I supposed to give a chance to such a low life of a human? Especially one who cannot even be considerate to converse with others, but instead choosing to listen in on conversations like a degenerate" 

I immediately frooze, panic filling me as I realized she had noticed where I was and what I was doing.

"Come on out, Cordelia" she said, saying my name as though it were a sin you would hear preached in church "I promise not to bite" she paused "For now at least"

I sighed, not wanting to anger her more and stepped out of the library "I did not mean to be rude; I just woke up"

"We did not mean to wake you" Florence said, giving me a sympathetic smile.

Annabeth stared down at me "I could always put you back to sleep, if you so desire it"

Florence stepped forward "It is a beautiful morning, how are you?" 

Annabeth shook her head as if she were amazed at Florence attempting to make the situation less uncomfortable, but instead of saying anything to worsen it, she walked away, calling for Luther to fetch her blood.

"I am fine, I suppose. Though it was a rough night" I admitted.

"How unfortunate" she said, frowning.

"It is just a sleep problem. I have always had difficulty falling asleep when feeling disturbed"

She tilted her head a bit "Perhaps your mind is running elsewhere with so many things crossing by"

"There is a chance of that, but I do not believe my mind has much to offer, I am only a woman" I said, hearing my father and brother in my head as I said those words.

I stared down at the floor, wondering how far their words had cut into my mind, leaving a lasting home.

She shook her head "Believe me, your mind has plenty and more to offer to the world"