Chapter Twenty- Seven

(Picture of necklace)

I was getting ready for an evening with Killian, outdoors.

I was absolutely nervous, because this was a practice run for my freedom.

His demand was still intact, but he has allowed me to leave the house, as long as I remain with him.

Of course I agreed to it, because not only was this time an escape for me, but Archibald and Florence were performing the act on Samuel this evening.

If Killian was around he would grow suspicious.

I was standing in front of the mirror, looking at the black gown I was wearing. I ran my hand over the corset that was on the outside, not used to this form of apparel.

I was nervous, because not only was I going outdoors, but it was nighttime, and I was going to be alone with Killian.

What if he attempted to do something?

I shook my head and sighed, satisfied with my appearance.

Of course I needed to keep the act going, especially long enough for Samuel's visions to be figured out clearly.

I believe at this point I was shaking nervously.

I felt like a fool, knowing that I could easily slip and ruin everything that I've worked so hard to achieve.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, not feeling ready for this occasion.

Tonight had to go perfect, otherwise everything could fail horrifically.

Killian walked in, carrying a thin box with him "You certainly look lovely"

I lightly smiled "Thank you, Killian"

"However, you are missing one key element" he said, smirking.

"And what is that, you at my side?" I asked, trying to act playful.

He chuckled "Well you are missing two things then"

I turned and looked at him "And what exactly is the second thing?"

He opened the box and inside was a beautiful diamond jeweled necklace with pearls.

I was amazed by the beauty of it, since I really had never seen a necklace that was so beautiful.

"Do you like it?" he asked.

All I could do was nod. It was as though all options to speak were gone.

He smiled and went behind me, brushing my hair to my left shoulder "It is also a reminder"

"A reminder?" I asked, confused.

He nodded "Yes, please do understand that by allowing you to leave, it does not mean that I am letting you run free. You are to stay by my side, unless ordered otherwise."

I felt the necklace against my neck, feeling just how cold it was. I shivered at the contact.

"When we are outdoors, you are my accessory" he stated "Just as this necklace is yours"

I looked down, hearing my father's words echo through Killian's voice.

"Accessory? I asked.

"Yes, that is the way you will appear and that alone makes me want to have you look your best" he said, making sure the necklace stayed in place, while running his index finger along my collarbone.

I was now frightened by the way he was speaking to me.

"It is 1909, Cordelia. We must act and look like the times" he whispered.

My hair was moved back in its place and he took my hand, placing the ring that I wore to the banquet, on my ring finger.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

He looked down at me "I am making sure that people know you are mine"

He held up his own hand and there was the ring, that matched my own.

"Do not forget that you are mine" he said, caressing my cheek.

I looked down "I do not want to belong to anyone, like I am nothing"

He quickly turned me around and looked at me "You are everything, Cordelia. Just because I want it to be known, does not make you some useless object, here for my own enjoyment"

Isn't that what I am though?

"So do not think in such a way" he said, taking my hand.

I looked up at him, not able to tell if he was being honest or not.

He started leading me out of the bedroom "Enough of this talk, we must leave"

I cleared my throat, as we passed by Florence's bedroom, knowing she would hear me and know we were on our way.

"How long will we be gone?" I asked.

He led me down the stairs "The night might as well be at it's youngest, so even I do not know"

I nodded, feeling the unsettled emotion flush over me.

Now that we are actually on our way, outside, with only Killian as my company, everything was settling in and I was not sure if I enjoyed the feeling.

"You are getting your wish, so do not act so frigid" he commanded.

There was my father's words again.

Which side would he stay with?

Which side was the honest side?

He opened the front door and I felt a small breeze hit me.

"Shall we be on our way?" he asked.

I nodded "Yes, of course"

He began walking and I cautiously stepped one foot out the door.

When nothing happened, I let out a sigh of relief, feeling so much better.

This is the freedom I had longed for.

"Are you just going to stand there or shall we be enjoying the night?" Killian asked, with a smug look on his face.

I nodded and continued walking, feeling the breeze better than before.

Everything was falling into place at this exact moment.

I continued walking, following after Killian.

I turned and looked at the house that had kept me captive for who knows how long.

He wrapped an arm around my waist "Time for you to see the world, the way I do"

I looked up at him and forced a smile, hoping I truly was prepared for this.

Even if I was not, I had to do this for Samuel.

Samuel needed this more than I did.

Killian gripped my waist and held me close to his body as we walked.

I was afraid to be alone with him, in this sense, but it was a sacrifice to feel that small shred of freedom and to accomplish an act that could save lives.

"Are you ready?" he asked smirking down at me.

I nodded, mentally preparing myself for everything that could possibly result in the night's events.

He smiled.

That troubled smile that set me off a little. It was the smile that I associated with fear and made me think of Theodore's death.

I was not sure why I linked the two together, but the familiar feeling was there.

Perhaps more was to come of this night than I had anticipated.

Maybe I needed this more than I realized.

Maybe I can learn some truth.

I must.