Arc 3 - Chapter 25

"Now, it's time to find out what's next in store. I already know what it is, though." Midnight said with a wink.

The big screen began to show many different kinds of possible events. A few seconds later, it landed on "Cavalry Battle".

"The rules are simple. It's relatively similar to how you guys did cavalry battles at your junior highs. But this time, the points of your members will be added together to make one headband." (Midnight)

The students started to discuss among themselves.

"Wouldn't one strategy be to give up your headband at first so you can move freely?" (Mina)

"Yeah, but if the splitting of the points ends up with big differences people who have the bigger numbers won't use it." (Rimuru)

"I guess that's true..." (Mina)

 "During the game, it'll be a cruel fight where you can use your quirks. But, it is still a cavalry battle. You'll get a red card for attacks that are trying to make people fall on purpose! You'll be removed immediately." (Midnight)

A certain blond spiky-haired boy let out a "Tch" after hearing Midnight's words. 

"Now, you have fifteen minutes to build your teams. Start!" (Midnight)

***

"Now, you have fifteen minutes to build your teams. Start!" (Midnight)

As soon as Midnight finished her words, a barrage of students immediately swarmed me.

"Rimuru-san! Please let me join your team!" (Student A)

"Nonono! Let me join your team! I will gladly become your horse—" (Student B)

Before Student B could finish his words, Student C kicked him in the [Redacted]. That's gotta hurt, ouch...

I was being approached by students one after the other nonstop. Is this what people call a 'Popular Phase'? Oh boy, this is what I'd always dreamed of back in my days as Satoru. Too bad my "son" didn't make it.

As I was getting full of myself, Deku appeared in the corner of my vision.

Ah, I can just partner up with Deku!

"Sorry guys, I've already decided who I want to partner with." (Rimuru)

"Aww... that's alright." (Student A)

"Do you really not want me to be your horse—" (Student B)

"SHUT UP! Don't embarrass our class!" (Student C)

Ahahaha...a classic trio. These people were from the general classes if I remembered correctly. Anyway, Deku seems to be thinking deeply again. I wonder if he's mumbling to himself.

"Deku," I call out to Deku, but he didn't respond. "Deku? Hello?" No response again. A bright idea suddenly came into my head. 

I leaned in close to Deku's ear and whispered. "Deku~ if you keep ignoring me I'll tell everyone your biggest secret. The one about that Mt. Lady magazine—"

"AHHHHHHH! No!" Deku finally snapped back. Of course, none of what I was saying was true. But that didn't stop me from applying illusionary images to my words.

"Welcome back to Earth, you were mumbling again Deku." (Rimuru)

"Ah— I was just thinking about everyone's quirks. The participants this year have extremely versatile quirks." (Deku)

"Oh? Have you come up with who to partner with?" (Rimuru)

Deku scratched his head. "I have. You're one of them."

I laughed and slapped his back, "I was just thinking of partnering with you, that helps me skip some steps. So, who else do we partner up with?"

"Well, now that I'm partnered with you, we have all the firepower we need. We just need other people to help us defend, heck, you can probably do that yourself. So all in all... anyone would be welcome I guess?" (Deku)

I winked.

This dude...I wonder if you have too much confidence in me.

While I was unsure what to reply to Deku, a friendly face approached both of us. "Rimuru! Deku! I finally found you two, it's like a wall of students were constantly surrounding you two." 

Hmm? Is that true?

I looked around but I didn't see anyone surrounding us in particular. Must've been her imagination.

"Uraraka-san, perfect timing. Do you wanna join our team?" (Deku)

I unintentionally whistled. That was smooth.

"Eh? Do you mean your and Rimuru's team? Can I really?!" Uraraka was excited. Damn, Deku might actually get a girlfriend at this rate. 

"Sure. Deku invited you, and I don't mind." (Rimuru)

With Uraraka, we had 3 members now. There was only 1 spot left to fill.

"Who will you pick for the last spot, Deku?" (Rimuru)

"Hmm, let's see..." (Deku)

After a few seconds, Deku started to approach someone. That person was Tenya Iida. "Iida-kun, can you hear me out for a second?"

Only Deku and Uraraka approached Iida, I stayed where I was because it felt like if I made a single movement students would crowd me again.

Nonetheless, that didn't mean I was unable to hear what Deku and Uraraka were discussing with Iida.

"...There you have my plan, Iida. Do you want to join our team?" (Deku)

Iida's expression wasn't that of a happy one. "As expected of you, Midoriya. But I'm afraid I have to decline."

"Eh...?" (Deku)

"If I keep following behind you, I'll never catch up to you. Todorki and Bakugo aren't the only ones who see you as a rival." (Iida)

Tense expressions appeared on Deku's and Uraraka's faces. They came back to me and told me what had happened with their recruitment. I already knew what happened, but I acted like I didn't.

"I see... that's unfortunate. But I can understand Iida's feelings. Now that you've become who you are now Deku, it'll be a fight to the top more than ever." (Rimuru)

Deku understood what I meant. Even before now, where Deku's control over One For All was severely lacking, Bakugo already saw him as a rival. I also noticed that during that time Todoroki was beginning to notice Deku as well. People with similar minds always meet, and those with similar goals will either compete or cooperate.

This is what made the U.A. sports festival great. A unique way of education and growth. And especially now, during this Cavalry Battle where you have to compete with and/or against your peers. It's like how the Pro Hero society works.

Brilliant if I say so myself. I'd like to hire whoever was responsible for designing these events.

I'm getting distracted, moving on.

"Deku, have you decided who'll be our final member?" (Rimuru)

Deku looked me straight in the eyes. "I have."

***

Afterword:

Relatively short chapter. Bare with it. I have more interesting stuff written after this filler chapter. 

ヽ( ' ∇ ` )ノ