33 | trust

Date: March 19th, 2022

A quarter of an hour had passed and the n-th exhale left Euijin's figure

She didn't need a second thought when she nodded to Donghyuck's offer to head for the rooftop. And he too, didn't need a second thought to accompany her, despite not knowing how long they would be spending their time there.

They were seated on the same bench they sat on when they first met, looking over the slightly busy view.

She now had her head hung low, eyes staring at her own two hands fiddling with each other.

It was dark, the moon was now up in the sky but the darkness didn't at all help hide the tears flooding in Euijin's eyes.

And she heaved another sigh, before speaking her thoughts to the male.

"I failed."

Her two words seemed more than that. It came with disappointment, anger, sadness and despair - all within the short sentence.

"What do you mean, Jin?" Asked Donghyuck, his voice as soft as ever, like he feared that his normal tone would further break the girl into pieces.

A tear left her eyes and flowed down her cheeks, before other tears followed right after.

"I didn't get the scholarship."

She couldn't mutter the words as well as she wanted to. Her own voice breaking and she couldn't stop her tears from falling.

A part of her was confused. She wasn't at all interested in the scholarship in the first place, so why is she feeling upset?

But that's how Euijin has always been. The scholarship wasn't something she wanted, but it was what her parents wanted for her. And growing up, she had always been the type to neglect her wants if that meant she can make her parents happy.

"I'll have to reject all my overseas offer letters now." Said Euijin.

No words came from the male. Instead, he scooted closer to her and as if she understood the cue, her head immediately leaned on his shoulder.

"It's okay. You can cry as much as you want. I'm here for you."

He had extended his arm and held her closer to him, and just like the first time, Euijin cried her heart out while being in Donghyuck's embrace.

"I failed," She repeated. Not once, not twice, but several times. And with each time, she felt her heart ache a little more.

"It's okay," Donghyuck assured, his fingers going through her long hair in an attempt to soothe her, "You did your best, and I'm more than proud of you for giving it your all."

"I'm a disappointment,"

"No, Jin, you're not." Donghyuck said, his other arm holding her tighter. "I'm so so proud of you, you know? You're not a disappointment. Don't do that to yourself."