48 | glimpses of memories

song for this chapter: 8 letters
by why don't we

song for this chapter: 8 lettersby why don't we

Date: 17th April, 2022

"Oh hey! Haven't seen you at all today. Did you get enough rest?" Asked Hyera from the living room couch as she watches Euijin leaving her bedroom.

"I laid in bed all day." Euijin replied, her voice hoarse as she quickly makes her way next to her housemate. Heaving a sigh, she leaned her head against Hyera's shoulder where Hyera immediately sat up higher for Euijin's comfort.

"How are you feeling for tomorrow?" Asked Hyera, referring to Euijin's first day in university as she was starting tomorrow.

Euijin hummed, "Looking forward to it, I guess."

Hyera chuckled as her tone was contradicting her own response, "You don't sound that excited though."

"Nothing in life excites me anymore. It's like I get excited over one thing and it ends up disappointing me so I'd rather not get my hopes high over anything, you know?" Euijin sighs as she stands up, "Anyway, do you want ramen? I feel like eating some."

"It's midnight though, shouldn't you go to sleep and get ready for an early tomorrow?" Asked Hyera, following Euijin to the kitchen.

"I had enough rest so it doesn't matter to me. Are you going to bed soon?"

Hyera hummed, "I think I'm gonna go to bed soon. I can accompany you for a bit though."

Euijin shook her head, "You should sleep. I'll be fine, I won't burn the kitchen down." Joking as she starts to fill the pot with water.

As Hyera leaves for her bedroom after wishing each other goodnights, Euijin heaved another sigh.

Finally taking off the mask she has been wearing around Hyera, Euijin slumped forward on the kitchen island as she holds back the tears in her eyes. Since she returned home from her walk with Mark the night before, she hasn't spent even an hour without crying.

Euijin stayed in her room the whole day, disguising it as needing enough rest before going back to the student life. But her red eyes and the crumpled tissues in her room proved her reasoning to be false.

Her mind hasn't once been quiet of thoughts from the thing that happened the day prior. Even as she was preparing her first meal for the day, her thoughts wandered off to the man whom she now had no contact with. From daily 'good morning's, 'how was your day's, 'I miss you's and 'good night's to not a single text today. She was having it hard adjusting to the sudden change but that was how she is, she couldn't just easily ask someone to help carry her burden with her.

Euijin continued to cook her meal, doing her best to hold back her tears as she focuses on her meal. But as focused as she can be, her mind was still a mess which showed when she held the heated metal pot with her bare hands. Letting out a small scream of pain, she held tightly her slightly injured hand with her other hand.