Operation Cobalt

Chapter 4 Operation Cobalt

POV Justin

A few hours before Operation Cobalt

As I watch the walkers slowly approach the police station from Emily's office window, a dark smile forms on my face as I grab a piece of paper along with a pencil and write a message to Emily in case she survives.

I leave his office and take the elevator down to the basement. I hope I don't get trapped inside of it. It would be very annoying.

The elevator doors open in the basement and I start to search for the generator when a conversation catches my interest.

"With the fuel here, the generator should last a couple of hours." He says a voice, so I start to get closer to the origin of the voice.

"Will the barricades be okay, Sergeant? I heard gunshots recently." Another voice is heard, now closer than before, I'm getting closer.

"Don't worry rookie those barricades will hold." I come to the end of a corner where I see two officers arguing next to what appears to be some kind of generator. I grab my gun and take the safety off.

It's show time.

Emily, where are you? I'm lost!" I say out loud as I approach the pair of officers with their hands behind their backs, they just stare at me.

"What the hell, what is a child doing here?" asks one of the officers approaching me. "Follow me, boy, I'll take you to the reception where the other civilians are." At that moment screams begin to be heard coming from the reception and I take the opportunity to quickly shoot both officers in the heads. After this, I proceed to shoot several times at the generator, and sparks begin to come out of it until it stops working and the power fails to leave the entire building in darkness.

I grab my flashlight courtesy of Walmart and start running towards the stairs as the sound of screaming and gunshots begin to fill the building.

Upon reaching the roof I find a person firing into the crowd of walkers outside the police station until he runs out of bullets.

"10 Years of Outstanding Service, Quintessential SWAT Team Sniper, All for Nothing. All law enforcement personnel on layoff must immediately report to active duty. That was all they said this morning, you fucking liars." Says the sniper turning around with a rifle on his shoulder as he drinks a beer.

"All for nothing! The fucking end of the world has arrived." He yells angrily and they stare at me up and down, specifically at my right hand. "Where did you get that gun? That blood on your shirt whose is it? The sniper frowns suspiciously. "I need that gun, mine is out of bullets, give it to me." The sniper points his hand at my gun as he approaches me. Bad selection.

"I think it will not be possible." I say with a giggle pointing my gun at him. "Damned." It's all the sniper says before going down from a headshot.

I check the sniper's gun and it's out of bullets, what a waste. I keep my gun on my waistband covered by my shirt and shortly thereafter someone knocks on the door. The reason I destroyed the generators was to prevent people from taking shelter on the roof, without electricity and in the dark most would die on the lower floors, while I would be safe on the roof, alone.

I'm not going to open this door, they might as well eat everyone behind this door. "Open the door please!" It's Emily's voice. Well, she can survive for now. I open the door and she just stares at me in shock.

"Wow, you took your time." I say with a giggle, then Emily smothers me in a hug.

After surviving Emily's hug and closing the door, two people joined our little group on the roof, I wanted to leave them outside and be eaten by the walkers, but Emily would get suspicious and that would be annoying.