CHAPTER ONE

CARRYING THE BANNER

---

The humid air was never something that Scar wanted to wake up to, but always seemed to, especially in July. The lodging house was absolutely horrid on the inside – warm air coasting from room to room, sticking to her skin like an unwelcome visitor and refusing to leave like a family member on a holiday. Outside on the fire escape wasn't much better, but at least there was a breeze that would filter through the tall buildings sometimes and find its way to her. It was also nice not to wake up to dozens of boys stomping around on every floor.

Though Scar was still woken up many times while out on the fire escape thanks to the two boys who were nearly always out there with her. That morning in particular, Scar woke up rather groggily to the two practically shouting. She pushed her head off of her arm and raised her head slightly, eyes still heavy with sleep. She could make out the shape of Crutchie first, as it was easy to do since he carried his crutch underneath his right arm and he was shorter than most of the other newsies. She caught sight of Jack next, a person she had known for years, standing near the railing, looking out at the city with Crutchie beside him.

Scar started to sit up, rubbing sleep out of her eye lazily, a comment on her tongue about both having half a mind of decency that she had been sleeping and the morning bell hadn't rung yet, indicating there was still time to do so, until she heard what the two were talking about.

[Jack and Crutchie]
Santa Fe
You can bet
We won't let them bastards beat us
We won't beg no one to treat us fair and square
There's a life that's worth the livin'
And I'm gonna do my share
[Jack]
Work the land, chase the sun
[Jack and Crutchie]
Swim the whole Rio Grande just for fun!
[Crutchie]
Watch me stand!
Watch me run...

Even through her hazy, sleepy vision, Scar could see Crutchie's face drop. There was only so much that Crutchie could do with his bad leg. Standing he could do, with the crutch's help, but running was another thing. It was something he hadn't been able to do for a long time. Jack's romanticized idea of Santa Fe, New Mexico must have bled into Crutchie's imagination as well, offering him some sort of solace in the hope that moving there would cure him of his ailment.

Crutchie might have been a dreamer, but his scope for reality was wide, sometimes too much so for his own good.

Jack seemed to notice this change in his friend, because he quickly made his way over to where Crutchie had hobbled to the opposite side of the fire escape. "Hey, hey," he called out softly to Crutchie before slinging an arm around the shorter boy's shoulder.

[Jack]
Don't you know that we's a family?
Would I let you down?
No way
Just hold on, kid
'Til that train makes Santa Fe