CHAPTER NINE

DREAM MAKER, HEART BREAKER

---

Tears and blood and sweat streamed down her face – a big difference from where she had been the previous night. Honestly, she should have expected this kind of reaction from Wiesel, from the Delancey brothers, and from the police. No one liked disorder, no one liked to make change, even if it were needed. That was something Scar knew, and it didn't matter that she didn't like it. It was the truth. It was just going to get harder after this, but she had to believe it would be good for something.

She had to believe that her words, her words and Jack's, would make a difference. She had to.

Once she recovered enough, breathing evenly again, wiping the sweat and tears and blood off of her face with her cap, she started to walk through the night, kept in the shadows to avoid being seen. Her steps were slow, but she knew where she was going. As the lodging house came into view, she felt a warm breeze fly across the night, only adding to the emptiness of the streets. The lodging house was desolate as she made her way inside. She figured the other newsies must have been too spooked to come back, fearing that they'd be found and dragged to The Refuge.

Scar was afraid of that, too, but she hoped that because it looked empty, if the police did come to search, they'd not think anyone would be on the rooftop, which is where she was headed. She climbed the stairs, making her way through the hallways, finally to the fire escape, where she stopped, hearing someone pacing and crying out in frustration.

[Jack]
Folks, we finally got our headline
"Newsies Crushed as Bulls Attack"
Crutchie's calling me
Dumb crip's just too damn slow

It was Jack, and he was upset, understandably.

Guys are fightin', bleedin', fallin'
Thanks to good ole' Captain Jack
Captain Jack just wants to close his eyes and go!

Jack looked out at the city, and Scar kept herself hidden away from the little window on the fire escape, hoping he didn't see her. She would normally run to comfort him, but he seemed fairly inconsolable at the moment.

Let me go
Far away
Somewhere they won't ever find me, and tomorrow won't remind me of today
And the city's finally sleepin'
And the moon looks old and grey
I get on a train that's bound for Santa Fe

Of course, for him, it always came back to Santa Fe. Scar didn't want to believe that he would just give up and throw in the towel as soon as something unfortunate happened. She wanted to believe that he would stick it out, stand together, with the rest of the newsies, like he said he would.

And I'm gone
And I'm done
No more running. No more lying
No more fat old man denying me my pay
Just a moon so big and yellow, it turns night right into day
Dreams come true.
Yeah, they do. In Santa Fe