CHAPTER SIXTEEN

ONCE AND FOR ALL

---

Scar followed after Jack and Katherine, the latter of whom tossed her a set of keys, as they entered Pulitzer's office building through the cellar. Davey was outside the building, leading the rest of the newsies, to whom Jack had since apologized to for betraying them, and Jack had finally gotten over the fact that Katherine was actually Pulitzer's daughter, and Cora in a similar family.

"I'll get the lights," Katherine told them. "Scar, get those windows unlocked."

Slipping the key through the small hole in the window, Scar frowned curiously at the large ring that the key sat on, decorated with plenty of different ones, contrasting in size and shape. "You got enough keys here for the entire buildin'," Scar noted as she pushed the window open and several newsies, led by Race, came climbing through.

Jack snickered from beside her as she continued to unlock the other windows. "Has someone been pickin' daddy's pockets?" he asked Katherine sarcastically as Davey helped Cora in through that window. Two well-dressed looking young men followed after, and Scar recognized one of them as the man who had been walking with Katherine and Cora the first day that they had all met.

Katherine merely smiled at them as she led them down the stairs to the actual room in the cellar. "The janitor's been working here since he was eight years old and hasn't had a raise in twenty years," she explained. "He's with us one-hundred percent."

She ran down the rest of the stairs, going over to a small box with a lever. As she pulled the lever up, the room was illuminated with light, showing just how big the room was and the old printing press Jack had mentioned to Scar earlier sitting right in the center of the room. Jack whistled, looking over at Davey, who stood on the opposite side of Scar. "You bring enough fellas to keep us covered?" Jack asked him.

"We could hold a hoe-down in here and no one would be the wiser," Davey replied and Scar chuckled, hitting his arm with her shoulder at his remark.

"All right, good job," Jack told him as he started to make his way down the stairs into the center of the room, Scar following and Davey after her.

"Hey," Davey called out to Jack, who stopped. "It's good to have you back again."

"Shut up," Jack muttered, but chuckled nonetheless.

Katherine and Cora stood in front of the printing press as the two young men uncovered it and started to fiddle with little pieces of it.

"Here she is, boys," Cora announced, gesturing to it with her arms spread wide.

"Just think," Katherine started, looking around at everyone, "while my father snores blissfully in his bed, we will be using his very own press to bring him down."

She snickered, somewhat evilly, as she crossed the room over to Scar and Jack, hitting the board of the press a few times. Scar nodded. "Remind me to stay on your good side," she muttered, to which Katherine just smirked.