CHAPTER TWELVE

IT'S THE BOTTOM LINE

---

Sitting in a large, uncomfortable chair beside Katherine in a similar one, Cora nervously bit her thumbnail. Sure, being called into an office is intimidating, but she and Katherine had been asked to come in Joseph Pulitzer's office at the New York World. Currently, the two girls were watching Pulitzer have a heated debate with Mayor Van Wyck, the mayor of New York.

"But I've read your editorials, Mr. Pulitzer," the mayor was saying. "How can you express so much sympathy for the trolley workers and yet have none for the newsies?"

"Because the trolley workers are striking for a fair contract," Pulitzer replied simply. "The newsies are striking against me!"

Cora wanted to shout and scream and tell him that he was being unfair. That the newsies were striking for equality, therefore striking against him. Maybe if he weren't so dense, he'd understand that. But Cora, fearing what reaction she might get, bit her tongue and simmered in her anger.

"I'd spare you the embarrassment if I could, but the burlesque house is private property," Mayor Van Wyck told Pulitzer.

Molding her lips together, Cora looked over at Katherine. How did Pulitzer know about the rally so soon after they had just found out about it? He must really have eyes all over the city.

"He can't order a raid without legal cause," Bunsen, one of Pulitzer's employees told him.

"Mr. Mayor, would the fact that this rally is organized by an escaped convict be enough to shut it down?" Pulitzer asked in response and Cora's heart started to beat faster in her chest.

"An escaped convict?" the mayor asked, clearing intrigued.

"A fugitive from one of your own institutions," Pulitzer continued, walking over to his desk. "A convicted thief, at large, reeking mischief on our law-abiding community." He turned his desk chair around, revealing Warden Snyder from The Refuge. Cora's eyes widened. "Mr. Snyder, which one is he?"

Cora's eyes fell to Pulitzer's desk, where the photograph she had taken from the strike was sitting alongside Katherine's article. She closed her eyes, shaking her head. "That one there – Jack Kelly," Snyder responded. Cora lifted her eyes to see him tilt his head. "There's another one amongst the group, too. This one right here, the girl. Her name is Lydia Woods."

"And how do you know this boy and girl?" Mayor Van Wyck asked curiously.

"His is not a pleasant story," Snyder began. "He was the first sentenced to my Refuge for loitering and vagrancy, but his total disregard for authority has made him a frequent visitor."

"You called him a thief and escaped convict," the mayor pressed. "Is that the story for both the boy and girl?"

"After the boy's release I caught him myself, red-handed, trafficking stolen food and clothing," Snyder continued. "He was last sentenced to six months, alongside the girl, who was also arrested for stealing, but the willful ruffians escaped."