CHAPTER FIFTEEN

WHAT WAS OURS STILL WILL BE

---

"That was some speech you made," Scar began, the words simmering dangerously that anyone within reach could get licked by flame.

"What are you doin' here?" Jack asked in reply, his eyes falling to the papers in her hand. "Why are you goin' through my stuff?"

He crossed the distance from the ladder to where she was standing quickly, snatching one of the papers out of her hands, but left her with the one that had rattled her to her core.

"I saw them rolled up, stickin' out of there!" she exclaimed in defense, pointing to his rolled up sleeping mat, which Jack was currently using to put away the paper he'd taken back from her. "I didn't know what they were." She turned back to the drawing in her hand, shaking her head. "These drawings...they're of The Refuge, aren't they?" She shook her head, mind filling with memories of what it was like in there. "Three bodies to a bed, rats everywhere, and vermin..."

Jack looked over at her, eyes flicking down to her attire and appearance – fresh, clean clothing that no one had ever seen her in before and her hair done nicely. "A little different from where you've been hangin' out?" he scoffed as he snatched the drawing from her hands.

Scar drew her brows together, glaring at Jack. Why was he mad? She was the one who should be fuming, and she was. But what reason did he have, if any?

"You were arrested stealin' food and clothin'," she reminded him as he turned away to put the drawing back in his sleeping mat. "You stole to feed the boys." When he didn't say anything, Scar's anger boiled over, and she shouted, "I don't understand! If you were willin' to go to jail for the boys, if you were willing to take every beatin' for me in The Refuge, how could you turn your back on them now? On all of us!"

With the same fury her voice held, Jack turned around, pointing his finger in Scar's face. "I don't think you're anyone to talk about turnin' on folks!" he exclaimed.

Eyes wide with genuine confusion, Scar shook her head as she stepped back. "What the hell are you talkin' about?!" she shouted. "I never turned on you or anyone else! You're the one who turned on us! On me!"

"Yeah?" Jack challenged. "Well, where'd ya get the new clothes then, huh? Someone had to give 'em to ya, and I know it wasn't one of the boys."

"You're right," Scar agreed, gesturing down the clothing on her body. "It wasn't one of the boys – it was a girl. Davey's sister, actually, which is where I went after the fight in the Square because you were too busy wallowin' in self-pity up here!"

"Well how do I know you're not lyin', huh?" Jack asked and Scar stepped back again, this time hurt by his words. "What if someone put you up to this?"

"You really think I'd do that?" Scar questioned, wondering why he was questioning her loyalty when it was him who had broken everyone's trust.