CHAPTER THIRTEEN

MOST THINGS JUST ARE WHAT THEY ARE

---

To say Scar was incredibly sorry for Mayer Jacobs to have met Racetrack Higgins was an understatement.

When Scar had woken up the previous morning, she found the apartment virtually empty. Davey and Les were gone, as were Sarah and Esther. Mayer was the only one still home, and he told her that the kids and his wife had gone off to work. Sarah had left a few pieces of clothing for Scar to wear, but she stayed at the apartment the entire day, too down to even face the world outside.

The following day was no different, except she actually got up and got dressed, though the clothes Sarah had left were nothing that she was used to wearing. A white blouse and a tan skirt and a dark brown fabric belt around her waist wasn't exactly what Scar had ever pictured herself in, but it was all she had. Sarah, while braiding Scar's hair away from her face, explained that after laundering her clothes, she wanted to sew the holes, and though Scar told her that she didn't have to, Sarah was persistent.

Race had made an unannounced visit to the Jacobs apartment, telling Scar all about how Davey had managed to plan a rally at Medda's theater for the newsies and that Spot Conlon had agreed to show with Brooklyn. Despite the sadness Scar had been feeling, it made her smile that the rest of the newsies, and Davey, were continuing with the strike.

"But it's not just us and Davey," Race had told her, to which she raised an eyebrow. "Jack changed his mind. He agrees we gotta keep doin' what we're doin'. He's comin' to the rally tonight!"

Those words sparked hope in her heart – hope that Jack had realized there were things worthwhile in New York.

So, after apologizing to Mayer for Race showing up out of nowhere, Scar decided to make her way down to Medda's theater early. She hadn't worked for two whole days, but she was more than ready to get back into it after the rally that night. Even more so because she, too, had thought of an idea that might be of use to the strike, and Sarah had helped her transcribe it to the best of her ability.

With the small piece of paper detailing her plan tucked inside her skirt, Scar made her way down the street. The warm, July air blew past her face, rustling her thin strands of blonde hair that were too short or wispy to stay in the braids. Even if the way Sarah had done her hair, two Dutch braids down the back of her head, folded and pinned to create a complicated looking bundle, moved to reveal the scar on her face, she didn't try and hide it. The scar, as ugly and disturbing a memory as it was, was apart of her, and if she wanted to be her true self, she needed to embrace it.

Making her way down the street, she passed several newsies whom she worked alongside every day, but with her clean face and clothes, her hair not hidden and mused by the cap she always wore, they hardly seemed to recognize her. Only JoJo seemed to notice it was her as she walked past him, with him calling out, "I'd know that smile anywhere!" and she couldn't help but do just that, shaking her head in the process.