CHAPTER TWO

SELLING PARTNERS

---

"Papes for the newsies!" Wiesel shouted as the newsies moseyed over to the distribution window, Jack first, Scar right after him, and the rest falling into place behind her. "Line up!"

"Good morning, Weasel," Jack greeted with a boyish smirk. "Did you miss me?"

"That's Wise-el," Wiesel corrected the leader of the newsies, to which Scar raised an eyebrow.

"Ain't that what he said?" she asked, looking behind her shoulder at the other newsies, who nodded and murmured in agreement.

Scar reached into her pocket and slapped her coins on the counter as Jack did the same.

"We'll take the usual," Jack told him and Scar smiled.

Wiesel rolled his eyes and spoke to the Delanceys over his shoulder, "A hundred papes each for the wise guy and girl."

Scar moved down the line, taking the bundle of newspapers from Oscar. Race was next in line, and as Scar read over the stories of the day, she lifted her eyes every so often to watch what was happening.

"How's it going, Weasel?" Race asked as he leaned against the distribution window, voice coated in fake sincerity.

"At least call me mister," Wiesel reasoned tiredly.

"I'll call you sweetheart if you'd spot me fifty papes," Race responded, leaning closer to the window, winking.

Scar snorted along with the other newsies, but Wiesel wasn't impressed as he stated, "Drop the cash and move it along."

Race frowned, slapping down his coin as he asked, "Well, whatever happened to romance?"

"Fifty for the Racer," Wiesel told the Delanceys, and as Race received his papers, he moved along next to Scar before the two walked toward the center of Newsies Square to wait for the day to fully begin. "Next!"

Crutchie made his way to the window, placing his coin down softly. "Good morning, Mr. Wiesel," he greeted politely, pronouncing Wiesel's name correctly, and Scar smiled. Despite being physically weak, Crutchie's politeness was actually a strength, not a weakness like many would think. With everything they'd all gone through at some point to end up selling newspapers just to survive, it was a miracle he still had any politeness and kindness left.

Wiesel smiled, most of it covered by the graying moustache covering his top lip. "Fifty papes for Crutchie," he stated. Scar sat down on the ground, lifting her face toward the morning sun with closed eyes as she waited for the other newsies to get their papers. "Have a look at this; a new kid!"

Eyes popping open, Scar looked over at the distribution window to see a boy – tall, most likely her age or a year older, with a smaller boy behind him, who popped out to exclaim, "I'm new too!"