CHAPTER ELEVEN

WE'RE BACK!

---

"You think he'll be here?" Cora asked Les as he led her and Katherine toward the back stage door of Medda's theater later that same day.

All day, the newsies had been out looking for Jack, along with going back to selling papers, but not in vain. Davey had told Cora all about how he'd seen a change in Wiesel's attitude. He had looked scared, or that's what Davey had said. Cora figured that was a good sign, and she hoped it brought them one step closer to winning their fight. He'd also told her that Spot Conlon, the leader of the Brooklyn newsies, had sent a kid over to tell them that the next event they held, Brooklyn would be there.

"Davey said he was gonna check here, and I haven't seen him since," Les told her as he struggled to open the door. "I figure he's here, too!"

Cora bit down on her lip pensively as she helped Les open the door, glancing at Katherine. "You don't think he'd –"

"No," Katherine cut her off quickly, shaking her head firmly. "I don't believe that he'd just leave, no matter how upset he was. He may not realize it himself, but there's someone that'll keep him here."

Releasing a sigh of relief, it helped Cora to know that Katherine believed the same thing – that Jack wouldn't just run off the first chance he got to Santa Fe. And, she was also glad to know that she hadn't been the only one to pick up on just how in love Jack was with Scar, and vice versa. She hoped Katherine was right. Les glanced between the older kids, eyes filled with confusion, but Cora just shook her head at him, placed her hand on his arm, and motioned for him to keep walking.

Les ran forward, toward the catwalks above the stage, and Cora and Katherine followed behind him. "There he is, just like I said!" he exclaimed, and as the two girls reached the balcony, they saw Jack down on the stage with Davey beside him, a large, freshly painted backdrop behind them, with cans of paint center stage.

Jack's face morphed into a scowl as he looked up, muttering discontentedly, "For cryin' out loud, where's a fella gotta go to get away from you people?"

"There's no escapin' us, pal," Davey told him as Les led the two girls down the stairs and onto the stage itself. "We're inevitable."

"So, what's the story?" Les asked excitedly. "Can we have the theater?"

Cora chuckled at his enthusiasm. "Pipe down, I didn't ask yet," Davey replied.

"What's the hold up?" Les asked impatiently. "I need to let my girl know we've got a date."

"Your girl?" Davey asked in response, raising an eyebrow at Les, before looking up at Cora, as if to see if she knew what his brother was talking about, and she shook her head, shrugging.

"You heard me," Les stated confidently. "I've been swattin' skirts away all morning. Fame is one intoxicatin' potion. And this girl, Sally, she's a plum."