CHAPTER FOURTEEN

THE SEED OF A DREAM, NOT A PLAN

---

Scar stood beside Race in Medda's theater sometime later, alongside the other newsies of Lower Manhattan. All five boroughs had come out in support, mainly because Spot Conlon and Brooklyn had promised to make an appearance. They stood center stage as the newsies all around cheered and clapped at their entrance. Scar looked around anxiously, looking for signs of Jack, but failed to find him anywhere.

"You okay, Scar?" Race asked her, his eyes filled with the concern you'd expect of a brother worried for his sister.

She tried to smile, but it was in vain. She was too nervous, too confused, too terrified. So, she just nodded, muttering her affirmative reply, but knew that Race didn't believe her. Aside from Jack, Race was the only person who knew pretty much everything about her. He knew when things were bothering her, and he could definitely tell that something was bugging her. But she kept her mouth shut, opting to watch as Medda walked across the stage.

"Welcome, newsies of New York City!" Medda shouted around at all of the boroughs. "Welcome to my theater and your revolution!"

The newsies cheered in response and Davey stepped up beside Spot, who for someone who sparked a lot of fear in people, was such a tiny person. "Let's hear it for Spot Conlon and Brooklyn!" Davey shouted, and was met with more cheering.

Spot egged the crowd on, then raised his hands to silence everyone, and all sound ceased in the theater. "Newsies united! Let's see what Pulitzer has to say to you now," he stated challengingly.

"Hey, Davey," Finch called from where he was standing with a few other newsies up near the private boxes. "Where's Jack?"

Scar's stomach turned and she was sure she would end up releasing the contents of it onto the stage if Davey asked her where he was. Davey most likely knew better than to ask her, but she still feared if he looked at her for an answer. Her worries were drowned out by the newsies chanting Jack's name.

Davey passed his eyes over Scar, thankfully, and looked at Medda, who shrugged. "Sorry, kid. No sign of him yet," she told him, giving his shoulder a pat. "Looks like you're doing a solo."

With a little bit of timidness in his step, Davey took a step forward, toward center stage. But he seemed to think back on something, and the corners of his lip quirked up, and he looked around at the newsies. "Newsies of New York!" Davey shouted, and the whole theater quieted. "Look at what we've done. We got newsies from every pape and every neighborhood here tonight. Tonight, you're making history. Tonight, we declare that we are just as much of the newspaper as any reporter or editor." As he said this, Scar looked around again, noting that she hadn't seen Katherine or Cora in the theater either. Maybe the Delanceys were right about them, too. "We are done being treated like kids! From now on, they will treat us as equals. All right?!"