Secrets

My very first job, I was a drug dealer in my high school.

I didn't know who made the drugs, I just knew that it made good money. A girl in my class named Molly was always selling... well molly. She hooked me up with her "team", as she liked to call them and I took over the the entire east side of San Francisco. Molly was my biggest competitor.

"Morning Mr. Barnes." I welcome my boss into his own kitchen. It's been one day and it's still odd. I slept like a baby last night though, thanks to Alpine.

"Morning Sunshine." said James. I rolled my eyes at the nickname, absolutely hating it. It absolutely didn't suit me and it was probably the exact opposite of what I am. Unless I'm around Gin.

She called me this morning. Our conversation was quite... interesting. She said her roommate helped her move in but Steve never showed up. I had a feeling he was at the club or some girls house but I was worrying. He normally calls the home line but he didn't when I asked her.

"How'd you sleep?" He asks me. I watch him make a cup of  coffee for the both of us. He hands me a mug, it's black with white and green tribal designs.

"Fine. Your cat helped." I take a sip before he coughs out his morning voice. I didn't mind it. Something that threw me off was he had no house workers. No chef, no maid, nothing.

I don't like that he's this humble. It means he's hiding something.

"We have a meeting with my delivery men at 12. Then we have to run some errands after work." He grabs two protein bars from his oddly large fridge and hands me one. It has peanut butter. I love peanut butter.

"That's all?" I ask. I've never done homeland security so it's odd not doing my usual work.

"Yup. You can hangout with your brother or in child care before and after the meeting. Just meet my at my office by 6:30 before we leave for the errands." I nod my head before taking a bite into the protein bar. It was one of the best protein bars ever. I hope we go to store today so I know where he finds these.

"Okay. Is your sister in child care?" I ask. He nods before grabbing his keys off the countertop that was glossy. Alpine comes in from the cat door that leads out to the patio. His tiny fur ball of a body met my ankles. His tail hooked around the dark denim jeans I paired with a simple black turtle neck. The jeans were more cargo style. No one can fight in skinny jeans.

I give Alpine the last bite of my protein bar before following James out to the garage. He had 2 other cars. But what really caught my eye was a black classic Harley. He had mentioned one to Steve during the tour but I was zoned out. My eyes finally leave the beauty of his Harley as we slide in a sports car, also black. Leather interior that's smelled so new, you'd think he just picked it up. There was wooden features along the dash of the car, setting under the gloss.

The car ride was smooth and silent. Scenery filled my senses. The engine of his car was soft but the deafening silence that was passed among us, made it the star of the show. Trees and fields played movies on the windows. They had a small tint from the inside. The grass looked darker, more rich in color. The trees took after, almost mirroring the grass like an ocean would do a cliff. That's one of the gorgeous parts about living in the middle of the San Diego. You got the best of both worlds. The city full of partying and busy streets. But on the other side, hid the beauty of peace.

Mom liked peace. Mom wanted peace. I guess that saying was true after all. You always want what you cant have.

We couldn't have many things as long as Joseph was still the head of the house. I'm 110% sure he only let Sarah bring me home so he didn't seem like a dick. Brooklyn was a big city but he was widely known. Sarah attended his events as a plus one. Fake smile and all. He mentioned Steve and I but "wanted us to live a good childhood", he say, "keep them out of the public eye." Mom would come home those nights happy. I asked her why after some charity event. She used to just say "who wouldn't love a ball room full of dancing and food?" Those answers stopped coming as she finally gave me the truth.