Who's Bibi?

james pov

"What's the deal?" I asked the girl. She's been quiet since she left the bathroom.

"Hm?" She asked, taking her eyes off the road and onto me until she looked back at road. Her fingers fidgeting on her lap and her leg that was crossed over the other was bouncing. "It's nothing. Just thinking."

A moment of harsh silence was rested between us.

"About?" I asked, trying my best to focus on the road.

She sighed before answering. Harsh sigh, abrubt. "Dinner. What's for dinner?" She asked. She turned her head and rested her hands on the seat, uncrossing her legs.

"Whatever you'd like." I say while seeking out the driveway. Everytime I see the driveway, my heart calms a little bit.

She leaves the car quietly and heads inside. I slow myself from chasing after her. I don't know why I felt so strongly to chase after her. But I did. I shut my door and looked out at the yard. It needs a cut. I take the path up to the front door to find my cat there to greet me with his bowl in his mouth.

He acts like I don't feed him.

"Okay, put your bowl back Al." I say. Kicking my shoes off at the door and the cat follows me to the kitchen. I fill his bowl with expensive tuna. My cat is boujie.

Scout paces down the steps in her pajamas. "It's 7:00. Are you going to bed before dinner?" I ask, rolling up my sleeves.

"No, I just didn't feel like wasting an outfit." She says, giving me 3 seconds of eye contact before focusing it on the fur ball at her feet. She picks him up and he nuzzles his head against her chest.

"Suck up." I mutter before opening my fridge. "What do you want for dinner?" She shrugs while sitting at the island with the cat. He just sits there and wraps her around her finger.

"I don't care." She says. As she runs her hand through his thing white coat, she sighs.

"What's on your mind, Sunshine?"

"The atrocious nickname." I chuckle and she slightly smiles before she stops and I look away, to pull out two steaks. "Do you know the kids that attend the daycare, at work?"

Now I sigh. "Yeah, the parents have to check them in with me and Rachel. Why?"

"There's a girl in there. All the kids avoid her. When we had that meeting with the Astrid's, she was gone when I went back."

"What's the girls name?"

"Bibi."

Bibi.

Why was Bibi in my daycare?

"She shouldn't have been there. Don't stress over her." I continue working on the dinner, trying to mentally pull together a plan to get Bibi's father off of my property.

"What? Why?" She asks. I could hear her chair screech against the organic marble.

"It's nothing."

She was now close. Closer to my left side but her being so close consumed me all the way to the right. I felt her behind me and in front of me. And that glare wasn't just staring and me, but glared her way into my mind. She depicting me apart from my left.

"Jesus Scout, it's nothing. It'll be taken care of by tomorrow morning." I insist. She coughs behind me and I turn to her, tongs in my hands. "Let it go Scout."

"What am I letting go? What is being taken care of?" She shouts. I looked her down, but my intimidation had no affect on her, which I should've guessed. "If I don't get an answer in the next 5 seconds, I will be walk out."

"You have a contract."

"And I believe in that contract, mentioned I will be your personal. Meaning I protect you at all costs."

"This isn't something I need protecting of, Scout." I turn back to my steaks. Well try to, until she pushed me back to face her.

"Really? Cause you seem awfully defensive. And maybe, just maybe, you need to think of the child. I don't know what the hell is going on. But if you want let me do my job, you won't stop me protecting the girl." She pushes away from the counter. "I'll see you in the morning."

Then she was upstairs. And the damn cat followed her.