Burritos

scouts pov

Thankfully Steve was here this morning so he was able to drive me to work. I fell asleep in the car due to my lack of sleep.

I bunked with Ginny last night and told her all about the new job. Of course her and Kaiden know all about Steve and I's career.

They let us live with them for a few years after we told them what we had been doing. They thought we were crazy at first. Stupid for putting ourselves at risk, dangerous maybe. But we vowed to never ever let them mix in with our work. And if it were to happen, we would order them a security team until we sort it out. We swore our lives to it. With a spit swear, but a swear none the less.

Anyways, last night Ginny and I stayed up talking about the men at work. There were many attractive people and to deny it would be foolish. I had promised her to take pictures of some of the guys and FaceTime her to show her my new room. And Alpine of course.

"Scout." Steve said, shoving my left shoulder. "Get up." I stretched across the seat, without my seat belt on. Steve always complains about my lack of a seat belt. "Jesus Christ Scout, what if I get in a car wreck? Wear the fucking seat belt." He says before getting out of the car and slamming the door shut.

What the hell has his panties in a twist?

I grab my phone, Air Pods, and gym bag before getting out of the black car. Steve had already slammed the entry door. I follow him and quicken my pace, reopening the door. As I was following him, James stepped in between us.

"Avery."

"Hey Mr. Barnes. Need something?"  I asked, stopping before i run into him. He looks down at me and just stares for a second to long before responding.

"Yeah, I need you in my office. We need to talk about your schedule and who'll you'll be training with." He says. I look past him to see Steve already walking into the mens room.

I sigh defeated, "Okay." I agree as we linger into his office. Something was off about Barnes too. I was going to find out soon enough.

"As you know, you're here as my personnel and my kill man. You're brother has been training for the past couple weeks for an event at the end of the month. You'll be starting your training today." He says while fiddling with the file on his desk. He pulls out a paper from the file.

"Who's this?" I ask while looking at the profile.

"That would be Sharon. She worked for the FBI until she was given an offer at Banner Transports. Who we have connected with underground since day one. She hooked up with someone in the fields and now she works here." She says, leaning against the front of his desk. I walked over to the table and sat on it. He turned to me.

I was slightly confused. So my thoughts came out of my mouth. "Who would let go of a job at the FBI?"

"A job that pays for her son's education." He says casually. I look up to him, almost forgetting that family is a big deal to him.

"Oh." is all that comes out.

"Yeah." He says, just staring back at me. That thing in his eyes that he was hiding in the hallway came back. But it was gone as soon as it was revealed.

"She trains our teams so you will be scheduled with her every morning. You mentioned you workout in the mornings." He says.

I said that at 4:00 in the morning when he ran into me while I was getting ready for my run. 

"Head down to the gym and she should be there waiting for you." He says. I nod my head, grabbing my workout bag of the floor.

Sam started to open the door but was stopped. "Oh and Scout?"