The artificial genius versus the natural one

An Endless rhapsody. Something known by all. Something meant to last forever, without end. That's what  love was to everyone outside, living their oblivious lives, without so much of a care in the world. They had the time to be procrastinators, to have fun, to laugh, to struggle... but those in this room didn't. They didn't have such luxuries, to be filled with such trivial thoughts, such as, I can do this later, it's okay to fail once, I don't need to win all the time...

These are all fool's thoughts. And yet... What is this existence before me? This girl... So happy, carefree, so bright... This girl is truly an enigma. However... Enigma's sure are wonderful. To know something is easy. To not understand something to such an extent...

Is beautifully chaotic.

Kiyotaka POV

So Horikita was defeated in such an extravagant manner... She sure knows how to display superiority. I suppose I owe her a favour now, since she did help to cause Horikita to doubt her capabilities, which could help with her growth in the long run. This could prove useful to me, since I will have a bigger shadow to hide within. To doubt is to compare yourself against others or how you could be or have been, and realise your short comings. It is important to doubt and reflect when growing as a person.

I walk out to the board to see my name posted next to Sakayanagi Arisu's. She is the leader of class A, I believe. This will prove to be difficult... I need to get at least second place, but this would attract too much attention... No, if I were to not get second place or higher, the class would be doomed, and would probably blame me for it. What a mess this is...

I unintentionally let out a sigh as I come to my unsatisfactory conclusion.

So much for a normal, peaceful life.

Keiko POV

I unconsciously let out a sigh of relief as I look at the board. My opponent is no one of importance, so when I win, it won't attract attention. Sakayanagi seems to be oddly happy, letting out a silent laugh. I look at her opponent. Ah... "This is similar to a reunion between childhood friends, isn't it, Keiko?" Sakayanagi asked, both hands on her cane as she smirked confidently. She has begun to call me by my first name since I permitted her to after meeting my brother again. It will feel awkward to be called by my last name around him.

I sigh once more, closing my eyes in contemplation. Childhood friends huh... I'm pretty all of ours are dead. She has only met us once in the past, so does this count? A childhood friend is simply someone in your childhood that you know well, isn't it? Well, she knows us pretty well, so... "Think as you like. I suppose you're about half right." She nods, contented with my answer after the short pause. I look at the time. "I have to go now. Have fun." I turn to walk away.

"Sure, childhood friend number one." I stiffly turn back to her. What did she just call me... Well, I'll play along. "See you, Sakayanagi chan." This causes her to be quiet. Is she shocked? Surprised? I wonder. I start walking off again.

Time to win...

Third POV

After Keiko said that, a small, genuine smile made its way to Sakayanagi Arisu's face. If anyone had caught it, they would say that it was the start of the world's end. Well, nobody saw that as the young lady made her way to her match.

Kiyotaka POV

I walk into the room, silently getting seated, facing a certain short lilac haired girl, who was smiling rather confidently. I sat down quietly, and she, on the white side, started the timer. She moved a piece. "Do you remember me, Ayanokoji Kiyotaka?"

Do I remember her? What a question. "Before coming to this school, do you remember ever seeing me?" She asked more specifically. I searched deep into the fortress of my mind and shook my head. "How could I remember someone I have never met?" She smirked. "White room." Those single two words made me think even further. Was she someone who had watched from the outside? How did she get such a position?

She giggled innocently at my aloofness. "My, what a shame. Neither of you remember me. I won't answer your questions, but..." we continued moving the pieces as we conversed. "You want assurance, don't you? To know that I won't reveal your secrets?" She said neither earlier. That means Keiko doesn't remember her either. She is quite cunning, to blackmail me in such a way. No wonder she's a leader.

"Who knows." I reply, not wanting to say much more. She laughs lightly, as if she weren't in the process of negotiating with me. "Don't worry, you two are the greatest adversaries I could ask for. I won't reveal your identities. For now. I am one of those who want you both to enjoy yourselves in this school of temporary freedom. So long as you entertain me, it's enough." She said for now earlier. Does that mean that once we are no longer entertaining her she will expose us? I carefully consider my options.

"Don't hold back. Give me a good game. That is all I ask." She says calmly, gesturing to the board. I was planning on winning anyways, so... "sure. As long as you have no regrets." I sigh, letting my hands move as they wish.

Time skip

This was rather impressive. She lasted longer than I thought. Three whole minutes. I got up to walk away as she slowly copied, smiling in a way I never could.

"That was a good game. I look forward to the future."

I exhale slowly, looking out at the clouds, awaiting for the next match announcements.
The future huh. Never thought the day would come when I could have one.

I glance across the room to meet eyes holding a similar dullness. She glanced back for a millisecond before looking away.

You never did either, did you?

A/N

Hey! Sry I didn't update for so long! I'm in exam period, so I won't update as much. Also, I'm considering Hirata for the character x Keiko. What do u guys think?